Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Competition Piece  (Read 1280 times)

Offline kaesami

Competition Piece
on: July 03, 2015, 06:13:33 AM
I have a competition in October, so I have a lot of time to practice, but I'm not sure what piece I'm going to play yet. Usually I go for social category, but this year I thought, why not? I'm just going to sign up for classical...  I'm really good at flowy songs like Clair De Lune and Moonlight Sonata.(My teacher says my movements and technique are really graceful and artistic lol what) but when it comes to more Baroque-ey songs I'm :/. Not that I'm bad at them; I can play them perfectly fine, but they just don't sound as great as my flowy songs. I've played Chopin's Minute Waltz, Rondo Alla Turca, and a bunch of other songs I can't remember. But that was a long time ago, and I haven't really played any baroque/classical songs lately. I kind of wanted to play Prelude in G op. 23 #5 by Rachmaninoff, buuuuttt I'm not the best at those kinds of songs. At the competitions where I live for some reason, 90% of the students play like reaaaalllly flowy songs, so I kind of want to stand out, and I thought that that song was really like, opening idk how to describe. Leaves a statement? Should I go for it, or just stick to something I'm good at? I'm 'technically a Level 8' (I don't know how it's like where you live but here, we take a musicianship exam every year Level 1-10, and I just passed 8 this year) but I've played Level 10 songs, so I can pretty much play anything as long as it's not like... Extremely hard, haha. I actually don't know many songs, do you guys have any suggestions?