Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Another person trying to self teach again..  (Read 1336 times)

Offline phoebe93

Another person trying to self teach again..
on: July 13, 2015, 06:59:01 PM
Hello Everyone ;D

I know these kind of topics probably pop up on here a lot.
But i still wanted to ask this question,
last year i decided i wanted to take lessons
I saw how expensive it was for people over age 20. I was 21 back then so i kind of gave up hope.
Lately ive been exposing myself a lot more to instrumental music and wanted to look into more into self teaching!
I am 22 now which is quite old to start with any sort of instrument I guess,
and in my country one lesson is actually not that expensive
but with pets and daily living I dont know when ill be able to afford it in the future especially not if i need years and years of lessons
I know of course a qualified teacher is the best way to learn any instrument.
I have been practising the past few weeks trying to play some very easy songs with synthesia
And practising the scale excersizes and looking up other related things such as hand posture. I am not interested in playing classical music. But I have no experience in any kind of instrument. and i am already 22.
I just want to be able to play songs I like, few examples are

I dont know if it can be done on my own I actually guess not haha!
But i still have some hope.
i think i can save up for a few lessons but I dont think in the near future ill have the budget to take years and years of lessons, I dont know if these songs are considered simple or hard
for people who actually know piano, cause now all of these seem extremely difficult to me.
So id like some advice on anything really!
I love music and love no dying to learn to play the piano!
thank you very much for your help.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Re: Another person trying to self teach again..
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:50 PM

you can learn how to play this stuff online...  quite well actually.   If that format works for you than use it.  Taking years and years of lessons... well--that's not needed for every type of aspiring pianist...  you are playing for your own enjoyment and that's what it's all about.

sometimes people ask if they can teach themselves to be concert pianists at 40 years old with no previous music training...  to which I say... "sure, go ahead...why not."   

If you honestly have questions that are answerable someone here is always willing to help.

Good Luck ;D

Offline twelfthroot2

Re: Another person trying to self teach again..
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
If you're just looking to play those songs using Synthesia with as little learning/piano development as possible then the best advice might be just do your best to memorize what this software shows you.  That's not really advice at all.  If you're looking to play these songs well then consider doing it the "right" way (there are tons of great posts on this forum).

Tony

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert