\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Pianists who vocalise whilst playing (Read 1157 times)

Offline theholygideons

• PS Silver Member
Pianists who vocalise whilst playing
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:44:01 AM »
You wouldn't believe it, but Yuja Wang vocalises pretty loud when she plays Brahms. I was sitting 3 rows away from the stage and was caught off-guard by her growling which could be heard beneath the arpeggios and chords of the 1st movement of Brahms 2 and for the entire piece. Yet, it seems that if you were to tell a musician of it, it would enter their subconscious and screw up their performance anyway. What the heck, maybe she read her review a few days prior and was compensating for her lack of effort first time round... Even the cellist was making passionate sounds, yet, timbre-wise, the contrast in sound sounds less than compared to making sounds whilst playing piano.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pianists who vocalise whilst playing
«Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »
Some pianists are trained according to a school of thought, where they should sing the piece when the learn it.  She must have been singing along a lot as she practised.  Richard Goode makes noises as well.  Or perhaps we should call these noises?
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »
I must admit, i have had to redo recordings due to my 'vocalizing'… I try …but even so, it comes in unconsciously , although very 'sotto voce' … It is maddening because when i lose myself in the playing, it tends to come up…  Speaking/breathing with the tune 'locks me in' a very physical way -  Especially when subtle shades of rubato are required.  And, i find it difficult to remove completely as i have come to rely on it - and have been doing it for many years. With students, I am realizing, that i may passing on this affectation, as I am much of the time speak/singing the articulation of a phrase, etc, and have them sing it as well - so they can feel it coming from the inside... There is definitely a degree of vocalizing  that comes with the lessons.
(And yes, I would  have preferred it if Gould would have kept his grumblings off the recordings… I think i shall look into inventing a mouth muffler )
4'33"

Offline gvans

«Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:45:39 PM »
My piano four hands partner sings along as we play, never in rehearsal or recording, but only in performance. I doubt she even knows she does it. I find it rather charming.