Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: In search of a grand piano  (Read 2195 times)

Offline annm377

In search of a grand piano
on: August 01, 2015, 07:38:20 PM
Hi there! I am new to the forum. I am currently in search of a grand piano to upgrade from my upright, and I have been visiting lots of piano stores for the last few months. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight on some of my options. Here are the pianos that I am choosing from:

1990 Kawai CA-40 completely restored for $12,000 + 10 year warranty (satin black)
1988 Kawai CA-40 completely restored for $14,000 + 10 year warranty (glossy black)
1999 Kawai RX1 completely restored for $11,000
1929 Mason and Hamlin Model BB $15,000 but needs work
1927 Mason and Hamlin Model A $13,000 refinished
Knabe 5'8 for $8800 (not sure of the year on this one)
1936 Knabe 5'4 $4900
I found a piano also from someone who is moving, and it is a Kawai KG-5 from the 70s or 80s for $3500. It is in superb condition (barely played) and only has a small cosmetic flaw on the lid. Of course I am a little hesitant to buy a used piano from someone that does not come from a store or with a warranty. But the price does include a tuning and delivery to my home.

All of these pianos are except the KG-5 are from piano stores and come with a 10 year warranty. They all are in very nice condition with the exception of the two M&H that need some work.

My budget is no more than $15,000 or $16,000, so let me know of any other brands to look into that my fit into my budget. Of course I would rather spend less, but I am looking for a quality piano that will be reliable and last a long time.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: In search of a grand piano
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:37:53 AM
Some of the Knabe's are nice. The private party Kawai could  be a a hidden jewel for low cost. I'd  never throw an  RX1 out of my house. Find a tech, arrange a day that he could look over the pianos that sing to you. When you sit at a grand piano it should be an experience where you just want to keep playing it, that's the one you want to buy, assuming it passes inspection by the tech or you know the faults and they can be dealt with by what ever means and still remain in budget.

Personally,  while Mason and Hamlin are nice pianos , if they need a bunch of work I'd pass on them. Perhaps you can get the shop to do a restore but even then you don't know the outcome till it's finished. Sounds like a hassle .

Just suggestions !
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert