Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Jazz starter  (Read 2920 times)

Offline expressman70

Jazz starter
on: August 05, 2015, 07:17:13 PM
Hello all,

I am a classical musician but want to start playing jazz, and learning to improvise. I am very good at following books and self teaching teqnique, so could anyone recommend a great source for that such as theory book specifically with that. I do have an ability to improvise, but it doesn't appear as jazzy when executed. I just need theoretical base for it which i lack in this field.

Thank you!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Re: Jazz starter
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:58:49 PM
good at books--get "the Jazz Language" by Dan Haerle--he was my prof... he has lectures posted on YT, too.

it doesn't appear as jazzy?   it will...just give it time...lol...      the most common complaint from beginners is -- "but it doesn't sound like jazz!!"     it's not just the notes that make it sound like that...   it's really tough to learn to swing...and to walk bass...  and when you do finally get it you feel like an idiot --  because you realize it's not hard to do at all...once you know how.

it looks so easy...  because it really is easy...  and that is the single biggest problem lifer classicals have with the whole idea...   they just won't believe it...     so they make it far more complex than it is.

listen and play along with recordings of your favorite players...in my day all we had were Jamie Aebersold records---they were basically just backing tracks...(btw--the book I told you about was written by Jamie's piano player)  now you have youtube..

how much classical music do you listen to now/  and while you were learning???   You have to create that same "data base" for jazz, too..    if you can sleep with it playing somewhere in your room...you should

Formal theory and jazz theory are just two different  ways of describing exactly the same thing.

jazz theory is meant to be understood quickly...  the terminology is far more logical...as are the concepts...  

this is Oscar Peterson...   the GREATEST...  playing LIVE

this is what jazz sounds like... 8)

Offline expressman70

Re: Jazz starter
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:31:47 AM
Thank you for the reply, I will definately look into it.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert