Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: The Declines of Pianists  (Read 1821 times)

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
The Declines of Pianists
on: August 19, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
What do you think are some of the biggest "pianistic declines" in history? - declines in people's technique, attention to detail, playing in general...

I'll share some to start it off.

Here is one that you probably don't know about, since he's fallen into relative obscurity. I don't mean to ridicule him; his decline is more sad than funny. Pierre-Alain Volondat; this is from when he won the Queen Elizabeth competition in 1983:

but within a few years...

(those of you who are familiar with this etude will find this performance especially appalling. I concede that it's rather emotional and passionate on the whole, but the sloppiness and the sudden "explosions" of sound are both inexcusably bad!)

The most "famous" is undoubtedly Pogorelich, who was once a great:

and now is more of an eccentric than anything:

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Declines of Pianists
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 02:21:48 AM
AH FRICK I CAN'T EDIT MY OWN POST ANYMORE
What do you think are some of the biggest "pianistic declines" in history? - declines in people's technique, attention to detail, playing in general...

EDIT: and WHY do you think they happen? A lot of the times, they are sad, and often they happen to pianists who seemed to be destined for greatness...

I'll share some to start it off.

Here is one that you probably don't know about, since he's fallen into relative obscurity. I don't mean to ridicule him; his decline is more sad than funny. Pierre-Alain Volondat; this is from when he won the Queen Elizabeth competition in 1983:

but within a few years...

(those of you who are familiar with this etude will find this performance especially appalling. I concede that it's rather emotional and passionate on the whole, but the sloppiness and the sudden "explosions" of sound are both inexcusably bad!)

The most "famous" is undoubtedly Pogorelich, who was once a great:

and now is more of an eccentric than anything:

Offline josh93248

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 05:11:30 AM
I would agree about Pogorelich as he truly was once brilliant. Now I just don't feel the spark anymore and there are other issues.

Some have alleged that there was a decline with Horowitz but I wouldn't know as I don't really listen to him, not my style I guess.
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:26:25 PM
I have one more: Yundi Li. Most people who aren't Chinese wonder "Where is he now?" Well, he's still giving concerts, though mainly in China, and he is going to judge the 2015 Chopin Competition. But his playing has deteriorated quite a bit; he rushes his musical phrases a lot, and in some concerts he doesn't even try:

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:14:07 PM
I would agree about Pogorelich as he truly was once brilliant. Now I just don't feel the spark anymore and there are other issues.

Some have alleged that there was a decline with Horowitz but I wouldn't know as I don't really listen to him, not my style I guess.

Like my (failed) edit says, I also wonder HOW and WHY that happened to him, and if he really could have had the foresight to prevent the deterioration of his own playing/tastes. In his case, it was really unfortunate and rather infurating to some his fans.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert