Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Flaming light bulb singes piano strings.  (Read 1421 times)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Flaming light bulb singes piano strings.
on: September 13, 2015, 02:34:44 AM
Well... that was weird! I had a goose neck lamp above my piano, and I had a (very) long, (very) frustrating Bach session, and while it was going, I didn't realize that the lamp started to heat up. Not good. Then the whole thing combusted and flew down on the piano. It was amazing! But then it singed some of my strings. They sound like a honky tonk upright piano. :-\

Do I just need to get it tuned, or do I need to replace the strings?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Flaming light bulb singes piano strings.
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:50:15 AM
Probably replace the strings. Singeing doesn't unwind or tighten strings, it melts them (since the strings are made of copper or some other metal), so you'll want to get them replaced more than likely.
But, get your tuner to take a look at it and he can tell you.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Flaming light bulb singes piano strings.
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 05:09:09 AM
Probably replace the strings. Singeing doesn't unwind or tighten strings, it melts them (since the strings are made of copper or some other metal), so you'll want to get them replaced more than likely.
But, get your tuner to take a look at it and he can tell you.

Yeah, that's a good idea, thanks for the advice. I haven't got my piano tuned in 9 months so maybe I could have him tune it and look at the strings at the same time.  Haha it was freaky though just seeing the flaming lamp come flying into my field of vision lol
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert