Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Thoughts on Chopin's Waltzes Played by Kocsis Zoltán  (Read 1889 times)

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

Thoughts on Chopin's Waltzes Played by Kocsis Zoltán
on: September 13, 2015, 04:54:36 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs9lRO9WT8g

do you think that this recording is a bit too fast for the majority of the waltzes? His 34/3 recording is just way too speedy. so as his 18 and 64/1. his 64/2 recording has too much rubato and his e minor waltz recording is a bit too fast. do you think i should set this recording aside for another one, because it literally has little taste.
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.

Re: Thoughts on Chopin's Waltzes Played by Kocsis Zoltán
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 05:46:17 AM
I'm getting impaitent here......

Offline josh93248

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 02:35:08 PM
Kevon, you're asking people to listen to and analyse over 50 minutes of music you yourself indicate to have little taste and you're asking a question you seem to have already answered yourself. I have no idea where to go for a definitive recording of the Frederic "Kruger" Chopin Waltzes. Look for yourself.

Err... And If I come off a little snappy don't take it the wrong way but please understand EVEN I AM SICK OF YET ANOTHER "WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS FREDDY PIECE AND THAT CHOPIN INTERPRETER BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!"

Again, no offence ;)
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline josh93248

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:37:05 PM
Also I have no idea if they're better but maybe try the Ashkenazy?

Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 02:44:51 PM
Also I have no idea if they're better but maybe try the Ashkenazy?

I have the CD of those, they are fantastic.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 03:12:02 PM
Well I suppose I will satisfy the OP and listen to them while I do my math. I'm on no. 3 right now and they've been great so far. I particularly like his interpretation of no. 3.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:24:39 PM
Kevon, you're asking people to listen to and analyse over 50 minutes of music you yourself indicate to have little taste and you're asking a question you seem to have already answered yourself. I have no idea where to go for a definitive recording of the Frederic "Kruger" Chopin Waltzes. Look for yourself.

Err... And If I come off a little snappy don't take it the wrong way but please understand EVEN I AM SICK OF YET ANOTHER "WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS FREDDY PIECE AND THAT CHOPIN INTERPRETER BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!"

Again, no offence ;)
welli have a unsexual liking of chopinzo

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:32 AM

Again, no offence ;)

Got to say I agree with this. I viewed this post before it had any comments, I clicked on the link and saw 50 minutes and clicked off before hearing 1 note. To the original question - If you don't like it, don't listen to it, I don't think anybody else can tell you to like it, I also feel like a LOT of time can be wasted listening to others play and not actually playing yourself!

If you are not sure of an interpretation, you would have to play it like that yourself and see if you get a new feeling for it, if you don't, play it how you like. Do some research on the pieces to try and find out on what grounds the composer made the piece, their likely thoughts and emotions and interpret that in a way in which you can relate. For some that may be playing fast, for others slower, the key here is the whole piece has to fit together and it has to make sense in according to how the performer feels.

If you don't feel the same you're not going to understand it and may even dislike it. Again the only true way to find out is playing it yourself. I have had this experience with some Bach pieces, I generally don't like the style of a lot of Bach's music, i've started to play a few pieces and it's opened up a level of thinking and emotion that allowed me to relate to the compositions and i've come to really enjoy them. (Prelude 847 in C minor as an example)

PS I can't play 847 by any means just yet.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert