Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Hi! My new Casio Privia PX-150  (Read 2017 times)

Offline pink_girl

Hi! My new Casio Privia PX-150
on: September 26, 2015, 06:34:47 PM
Hi  :) everyone,

I am new here and also i am new to playing the piano. I just started a few weeks ago teaching myself from YouTube videos, and am thinking about getting a piano teacher because i think that's better right?

Today i bought a new digital piano, the Casio Privia PX-150 i was wondering what you all think about it and if you have it or had it before any advise would mean a lot since i'm new to this.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hi! My new Casio Privia PX-150
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 06:49:40 PM
Pink, welcome !

I'm not a huge fan of Casio personally but that doesn't mean you should not enjoy your piano !  What you bought is more than suitable for you to begin on and what I desire is probably not even on your radar anyway.. A lot of people do like that model and I'm sure they can be had at bargain rates basically. In fact I know a Pastor who has one in his house and prepares Sunday's music on it, does a little practicing on it etc. He seems well pleased with his. Enjoy !

Teacher ? Generally a pretty good idea if you get a good one yes. You will learn things like correct posture, hand control, techniques that can't be conveyed well in a video alone because there is no live interaction observing you. Most really good pianists have had at least one good piano teacher in their life and probably more than one, various courses, seminars etc.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline pink_girl

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 06:57:36 PM
I bought that one because it didn't cost a lot of money and i didnt want to have to buy a new one after taking only a few lessons and then have to get another advanced piano.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 07:07:39 PM
Well enjoy it ! It would be good to have it in a solid furniture style stand and that it sits at about the same height as the key bed on traditional acoustic pianos. I built the one for my Kawai  Stage piano actually and fairly closely matched the height to my grand piano key bed height. It's good and solid, doesn't rock around like some of the flimsy portable stands. Something to think about anyway. You don't have to build one of course, they are available commercially and in due time you might consider this. Meanwhile don't stop practicing !
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 07:42:12 PM
Hi  :) everyone,

I am new here and also i am new to playing the piano. I just started a few weeks ago teaching myself from YouTube videos, and am thinking about getting a piano teacher because i think that's better right?

Today i bought a new digital piano, the Casio Privia PX-150 i was wondering what you all think about it and if you have it or had it before any advise would mean a lot since i'm new to this.

Welcome here!  :)

I have not tried this piano model much so I cannot say what I think about it, but if you like it, then you like it!
When you have advanced a bit you will want to try other kinds pianos out, but this does not mean you have to BUY a new model. I believe your piano is very good for learning.

Yes, it is very good to have a piano teacher. I have been to courses this summer so I have had many of them this year. Every new teacher gives me new insights and I know that without them I would have been a worse piano player - not to mention how I have enjoyed the conversations and discussions. You can use self-study material for learning to read music and finding the keys ... but it is too easy to develop bad habits without the guidance of a teacher, like bad posture than can give you lots of trouble later on. They can also help you finding new music and composers that you may not know about right now. It is a big world out there ... enjoy and good luck!

Offline pink_girl

Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 07:48:12 PM
Well enjoy it ! It would be good to have it in a solid furniture style stand and that it sits at about the same height as the key bed on traditional acoustic pianos. I built the one for my Kawai  Stage piano actually and fairly closely matched the height to my grand piano key bed height. It's good and solid, doesn't rock around like some of the flimsy portable stands. Something to think about anyway. You don't have to build one of course, they are available commercially and in due time you might consider this. Meanwhile don't stop practicing !

It's how i bought it... I had to pay a little extra money so i could get it with the solid furniture stand, I didnt like the portable stand much.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 07:58:17 PM
It's how i bought it... I had to pay a little extra money so i could get it with the solid furniture stand, I didnt like the portable stand much.

Good choice !!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 08:47:44 PM

I had a Privia 5 years ago or so--I used to practice on it at night with the headphones  so wouldn't wake anyone up.

I wore it out in 6 months...  but I played the crap out of it too...  and a couple of times I took it to a gig for an extra controller.  The touch sensitivity tends to snap out on those things pretty quick.

just don't pound the sh!t out of it and it will last a little longer

not a big fan of casio either... but the price is right for sure.

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 09:18:09 PM
Congratulations on a great decision (starting to learn piano). I hope you shall have a lot of fun with your new Casio Privia.
As far as digitals are concerned I tend to stick to Kawai. I tried a bunch of  other brands and decided to go with a Kawai once again several months ago (it is my second Kawai digital). When I was starting piano I had an acoustic - which is still in my parent's house.
While I was trying out the instruments the salesperson, who was extremely good a salesperson haha, almost talked me into buying a baby-grand :D Thank God I decided to buy a digital in the end because now I can practice long hours any time I want without disturbing anybody. It is also important that I can play with headphones for my pets are not big fans of my music ;D
Have fun with your new Casio and definitely get a teacher! You will make progress far faster!
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 10:05:35 PM

As far as digitals are concerned I tend to stick to Kawai.

IDK you seem like a Roland guy to me...(kidding)   actually kawai has come a really long way... I tried out one of those $4k models and the piano sound was among the best I have ever heard. I also like that smart arranger or whatever it's called...   the backing tracks on it are also top notch.

Casios...  ok for a beginner... but that twangy-ass clanky piano sound drove me crazy...  especially the one time I had to use it for a gig...GAWD awful.   I had pounded out the touch sensitivity within six months... then it really sounded horrible...lol

Casio privia is NOT meant for a serious classical player... not even as a practice keyboard  it's only practical application is as a controller.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:14:39 PM
I wonder what the price was (without being rude) In the UK they are £399 without the more expensive stand you mentioned.

The last upright acoustic I got was £75. I am certain you could a good acoustic the £500 (if it was an option as they don't have headphones!)

As previously stated however if you are happy with it. What we define as not suitable for advanced or practicing is you cannot get the same response from instruments in these price range. That's not to say you can't learn some really advanced repertoire but it can definitely be frustrating when you reach a certain level and the piano just isn't do what you tell it too!

Start posting some recordings when you get confident, and not sure if this is obvious you said you've been learning from youtube - hopefully that means you're learning to read music - this is a must.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 08:37:16 PM

Casio privia is NOT meant for a serious classical player... not even as a practice keyboard  it's only practical application is as a controller.

I just read this scrolling down, and I have to agree. Casio Privia series is a great bargain and bang for your buck for those who are somewhat still in the beginning to intermediate stages of piano. Or experimenting or composing or doing small gigs and stuff.

But for a serious piano student to practice on? This piano is very flimsy. I have bought myself a Privia PX860 few months ago and from the get-go I could tell if I were to practice steadily and firmly Chopin etudes and beethoven and so forth, this will not handle it. I can see it wearing down (the keys and key bed) after some short time. It isn't built with reliable quality over time in mind.

For the students who are practicing minuets and fur elise and so forth (nothing wrong with that; Im talking about the beginner students really keen on learning piano) This is great.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 08:57:36 PM

This piano is very flimsy.

For the students who are practicing minuets and fur elise and so forth (nothing wrong with that; Im talking about the beginner students really keen on learning piano) This is great.

so very very flimsy. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert