Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Trouble playing chords solidly  (Read 1768 times)

Offline svpiano

Trouble playing chords solidly
on: September 26, 2015, 10:16:52 PM
I started with piano a little less than two years ago (although I understand all music theory at the intermediate level. I know how to form chords, scales, arps, general harmonic principles, etc.)

When I just started I thought that my major predictable problem would be scales and arps and playing them fluently. I expected chords to come easy and naturally because of their static nature. How wrong I was! It's completely the opposite for me! Am I alone on this?

Let me explain and maybe you can give me some... well - encouraging tips?

When I play triad progressions wıth either hand in any tonality in close proximity (using inversions, like in I-IV-V-I) I am OK. I can switch chords more or less seamlessly. A little more work with black keys of course but it's manageable.

But... once I begin playing chords that need some even small distance jumps (say all inversions of the same triad) and black keys are there the TROUBLE BEGINS. My fingers land all over the place if I try to go straight and confidently from chord to chord.
OK, if I concentrate a little more, stay at one combination for awhile it begins to work but it's nothing close to a real playing situation.

However the trouble is when I watch my hands. When I don't watch it's a disaster!
Do I expect too much too soon?

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed there is a "student" section that can be more appropriate for this post. Did I have to post my question there? If possible please move into there.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Re: Trouble playing chords solidly
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:49:00 PM
I started with piano a little less than two years ago (although I understand all music theory at the intermediate level. I know how to form chords, scales, arps, general harmonic principles, etc.)

When I just started I thought that my major predictable problem would be scales and arps and playing them fluently. I expected chords to come easy and naturally because of their static nature. How wrong I was! It's completely the opposite for me! Am I alone on this?

Let me explain and maybe you can give me some... well - encouraging tips?

When I play triad progressions wıth either hand in any tonality in close proximity (using inversions, like in I-IV-V-I) I am OK. I can switch chords more or less seamlessly. A little more work with black keys of course but it's manageable.

But... once I begin playing chords that need some even small distance jumps (say all inversions of the same triad) and black keys are there the TROUBLE BEGINS. My fingers land all over the place if I try to go straight and confidently from chord to chord.
OK, if I concentrate a little more, stay at one combination for awhile it begins to work but it's nothing close to a real playing situation.

However the trouble is when I watch my hands. When I don't watch it's a disaster!

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed there is a "student" section that can be more appropriate for this post. Did I have to post my question there? If possible please move into there.

first I would say slow down a bit.
2nd--when you look at a chord... lets say C major--all white keys in straight line---or Cminor which has the black key in the middle and now the shape is a triangle--study the keyboard with your eyes...look at c minor and notice the shape of it---think of how it feels in your hands--then play it with your LH and hold it for a few seconds--now lets look at jumping to a 1st inversion C minor--we have the Eb the G and the C--see it first with your eyes-- look at middle C and think about just hovering your hand with your LH thumb over middle C and stretching open just enough for the 5th finger to be over the Eb--it's important to just practice going from holding the root position triad to hovering over the next inversion a couple of inches above the keys--do this a couple of times--then on the third or fourth time drop your hand down all at once directly onto the first inversion C minor.   Follow this procedure and after a while you won't have to worry about jumping between chords.  It will be very easy... 

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Trouble playing chords solidly
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 04:38:42 AM

I would say yes  ;)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert