Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Nocturne Op.9 No.2, Beethoven Pathetique  (Read 2491 times)

Offline stylerpiano

Chopin - Nocturne Op.9 No.2, Beethoven Pathetique
on: October 04, 2015, 06:48:11 PM
Hello all!

I made a recording about my current pieces what I have learned.
About Pathetique, this is my 3rd recording, and about Chopin this is my first ( and this is my first Chopin piece too what I learned, because I have been playing piano only for 1.5 years now).

I know that both of the pieces are harder than it's look like at first, but I'm working on them with my teacher.

I love this 2 piece, so I learned them.

Pathetique 2nd movement:

Nocturne Op.9. No.2:

I would like to get some advice of both piece, how can I improve them.
Thank you!

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Nocturne Op.9 No.2, Beethoven Pathetique
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 01:17:43 AM
The main thing I noticed uniformly across your performances was that your singing tone was not very interesting; in the Pathetique it was almost a little harsh. Try playing around with different touches; you can caress the keys, float out of them, play with firm fingertips and loose everything else, there's millions of things you can do for almost infinite ranges of sound.
That said, your playing is quite good from what I heard (didn't listen to the full thing of either), and these aren't concepts that most people grasp after a year and a half- and you play quite well!

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:19:00 AM
Chopin himself is sitting on the bench next to you. He says "Play my E flat major nocturne as beautifully as you can". How would you play it then?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline stylerpiano

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:35:50 AM
Thank you.

I will try to play Chopin with more shaping and  with much more rubato next time. Thank you so much for your answers.

"Chopin himself is sitting on the bench next to you." - It would be good  :) I think I could learn the piece a little bit easier  ;D

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 01:17:08 AM
Chopin himself is sitting on the bench next to you. He says "Play my E flat major nocturne as beautifully as you can". How would you play it then?
If this happened to me, my hands would be shaking so badly I'd probably turn into the living embodiment of the LH of the Pathetique (1st movement).

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:53 AM
If this happened to me, my hands would be shaking so badly I'd probably turn into the living embodiment of the LH of the Pathetique (1st movement).

Thanks for the info. How would you WANT to play it?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 01:57:28 AM
Fair point.
In all candor, though, I probably wouldn't play it in the first place; I find it, along with his posthumous C sharp minor nocturne, to be incredibly boring unless played REALLY damn well.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:40:12 AM
Fair point.
In all candor, though, I probably wouldn't play it in the first place; I find it, along with his posthumous C sharp minor nocturne, to be incredibly boring unless played REALLY damn well.

Lol originally I was talking to the OP but yeah these definitely aren't my favorite nocturnes. I like 62/1 the best. Also 15/2.

Offline dogperson

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 04:58:58 AM
This is a good tutorial on shaping and tone in the Pathetique

Offline stylerpiano

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 05:42:17 AM
Thanks for the info. How would you WANT to play it?

If Chopin sit next to me, probably I would play it with more empathy and as beautifully as I can. But in the video I concentrated on the music so much because this piece is very new to me.

Btw: I revised the Pathetique with my teacher yesterday from mesure to mesure. And I think I know the main problems in this recording. "Pedals", "I must close the sections","some dinamics problem" and etc... But it's not bad at all, and it's good to hear  :)

Offline stylerpiano

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 05:43:19 AM
This is a good tutorial on shaping and tone in the Pathetique

Thanks for the video.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert