Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Favorite Performances of Liszt's Works  (Read 1515 times)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Favorite Performances of Liszt's Works
on: October 13, 2015, 11:56:32 PM
Here are mine:

Sonata (and you know which one)- Andre LaPlante
Mephisto Waltz (Obviously No. 1.....Duh.....)- Andre LaPlante
Sonneto 104- Claudio Arrau
Un Sospiro- I think Claudio Arrau has the best interpretation, but I think Jorge Bolet's audio quality is much better and easier to listen to at the beginning.
Don Juan- Enrico Pace
Concert Waltz on Lucia and Parisina- Thibaudet
La Campanella- Evgeni Kissin and I like George Li's interepretation also
Chasse-neige- Evgeni Kissin, BY FAR
Transcendental Etude 10 in f minor- I haven't heard many people, but I like Cho Seong jin's.
Feux Follets- Ashkenazy (DUH...) I also like Claire Huangci's.
Rigoletto Paraphrase- Arrau and Gabriela Monetero for the interpretation but I like Jorge Bolet's Introduction and overall sound qualitymuch better. I also like Yundi's.
Schubert Song Transcriptions- Yuja Wang and Valentina Lisitsa The hotties 8)
Grande Fantasie de Bravoure sur "La Clochette"- For the intro I like Sergio Fiorentino, but I think his technique for the technical parts are really sloppy. But for the intro, it is ONE OF THE MOST MATURE AND SENSITIVE PERFORMANCES I'VE EVER HEARD.
Tarantella from Italie, Supplement (Venezia & Napoli)- Jorge Bolet. I also like Lazar Berman's.
Ballade #2- Valentina Lisitsa (sorry guys, but she was the one who actually brought me into interest for tis piece. Prior to that, Id been listening to baes such as Arrau, and even then I felt that this was a terrible piece)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favorite Performances of Liszt's Works
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 12:38:09 AM
Here are mine:

Sonata (and you know which one)- Andre LaPlante
Mephisto Waltz (Obviously No. 1.....Duh.....)- Andre LaPlante
Sonneto 104- Claudio Arrau
Un Sospiro- I think Claudio Arrau has the best interpretation, but I think Jorge Bolet's audio quality is much better and easier to listen to at the beginning.
Don Juan- Enrico Pace
Concert Waltz on Lucia and Parisina- Thibaudet
La Campanella- Evgeni Kissin and I like George Li's interepretation also
Chasse-neige- Evgeni Kissin, BY FAR
Transcendental Etude 10 in f minor- I haven't heard many people, but I like Cho Seong jin's.
Feux Follets- Ashkenazy (DUH...) I also like Claire Huangci's.
Rigoletto Paraphrase- Arrau and Gabriela Monetero for the interpretation but I like Jorge Bolet's Introduction and overall sound qualitymuch better. I also like Yundi's.
Schubert Song Transcriptions- Yuja Wang and Valentina Lisitsa The hotties 8)
Grande Fantasie de Bravoure sur "La Clochette"- For the intro I like Sergio Fiorentino, but I think his technique for the technical parts are really sloppy. But for the intro, it is ONE OF THE MOST MATURE AND SENSITIVE PERFORMANCES I'VE EVER HEARD.
Tarantella from Italie, Supplement (Venezia & Napoli)- Jorge Bolet. I also like Lazar Berman's.
Ballade #2- Valentina Lisitsa (sorry guys, but she was the one who actually brought me into interest for tis piece. Prior to that, Id been listening to baes such as Arrau, and even then I felt that this was a terrible piece)

Seems like people think more of Chopin's works than Liszt's. THIS IS INJUSTICE.

Vous etes si stupide, vous ne savez pas le grande musique de Franz Liszt! Vous etes etudiants de le diable! Je vous hais!!!!!!!!! Vous etes la baise! Cool! 8)  Vous etes la merde de mon chien!!!!! 8)

My French is terrible

Offline abel2

Re: Favorite Performances of Liszt's Works
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 01:27:55 AM
I prefer Lisitsa's Sonata, Earl Wild's Waltz, Lisitsa's Don Juan (Haha, messing with you).
I've never really heard a good La campanella, and I like Trifonov's Transcendental's, although his faces are virtually Lang-Lang-esque. I agree with the Schubert transcriptions. Another one you should listen to is Lisitsa's Totentanz.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert