Piano Forum

Topic: Looking for an online virtuoso piano teacher  (Read 2491 times)

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Looking for an online virtuoso piano teacher
on: October 20, 2015, 11:30:43 AM
Hi,

I'm self taught but sometimes I have questions that could only be answered by piano masters with high expertise. I live in a small town and I have no access to a decent piano teacher, that's why my only option is online lessons.

I'm a holistic learner, so I can't take steps before I see the bigger picture < VERY IMPORTANT

If you're able to play yourself the bars of the pieces I have questions about, so you can answer my fingering and hand movement questions, it's highly appreciated.

I don't want to learn "your" method, I want someone who can accompany me on my journey and adapt accordingly.

This post is not opened for a debate, if you can help me, PM me and we can do this through Skype.

Thank you
Horowitz - Danse Macabre / Carmen variatons
Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Major + Etudes
Liszt - Liebestraum #3
Beethoven - Moonlight 3rd movement

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking for an online virtuoso piano teacher
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:58:04 AM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 12:57:20 PM
If it's not open for discussion, why is it posted in a discussion forum?  Members should have the right to discuss the ideas as they see fit, and it may even be beneficial to the OP - who knows?

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:06:40 PM
If it's not open for discussion, why is it posted in a discussion forum?  Members should have the right to discuss the ideas as they see fit, and it may even be beneficial to the OP - who knows?

I just want to avoid a discussion about which method of learning is right or wrong, and should I be so arrogant to state exactly what I'm looking for.

But you can post links, or if you happen to want to teach me, I would appreciate
Horowitz - Danse Macabre / Carmen variatons
Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Major + Etudes
Liszt - Liebestraum #3
Beethoven - Moonlight 3rd movement

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline josh93248

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 01:09:32 PM
I sent you a message, I'm not sure if I'm a suitable teacher but I think you're passionate about music and I wouldn't mind talking more.
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 01:09:48 PM
kudos to being open minded enough to accept the possibility that outside instruction is beneficial. that's key.

one really cannot teach virtuosity. you-the pianist/student/teacher- either have it or don't.  nature loads that gun, a good instructor shows you how to pull the trigger  (virtuosity = flawless/effortless execution of fundamentals + uncommon-natural creativity).

it's difficult to effectively coach a physical approach to the keyboard without actually being physically present, since there are physical aspects to the teaching.  

you would be better served by finding a excellent and experienced instructor that is very good at teaching beginners, which is where you are. The best benefits and easiest route to the advanced literature is through a solid primary grades and basics  curriculum.  

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 11:52:07 PM
Hi,
I have just sent you a PM. Just not sure if it was sent cause I don't see it in the outbox ::)
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline diomedes

Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 02:03:46 PM
Sure, why not. Check your inbox.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 08:28:33 PM
lol...seems Yadeehoo's obsession with the piano has waned a bit...  he was all over the forum a while back.  wonder where he's been... he was funny.  ;D

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 08:56:17 PM
lol...seems Yadeehoo's obsession with the piano has waned a bit...  he was all over the forum a while back.  wonder where he's been... he was funny.  ;D

I am positive he is at his piano practicing op 10 no 1 ;D

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:14 PM
I am positive he is at his piano practicing op 10 no 1 ;D

he promised he would post Leibestraum 3--I was soooooo looking forward to it, too. lol.

I would happily settle for a complete Chopin etude--or even a prelude-- done at least close to the correct tempo...  but I won't hold my breath.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 09:22:24 PM

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 12:31:19 AM
I remember all the back and forth between the op and others about the right way to go about learning etudes and higher level compositions. Then I checked out his video on his play of revolutionary etude and I chuckled. He has no semantically abled understanding of how to go about learning or playing that piece. It was totally obvious from the first ten seconds.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 01:45:12 PM
I remember all the back and forth between the op and others about the right way to go about learning etudes and higher level compositions. Then I checked out his video on his play of revolutionary etude and I chuckled. He has no semantically abled understanding of how to go about learning or playing that piece. It was totally obvious from the first ten seconds.

So what? He doesn't plan to become a concert pianist. He is just having lots of fun working by himself on a repertoire he loves. I can understand that working on your own and seeing some certain "progress" is fun - because you can thank it only to yourself. It is fun to read and analyze information [how to build technique] and implement it - I have done it myself too many years ago, even though I had a teacher.  But I would often disregard her teachings because I preferred the scientific approach over Czerny approach.
This self-study did not get me far in terms of technique but it was fun, indeed. Actually in terms of gaining technique it was a lot of wasted time but stilled I enjoyed it at that time and thought I was doing great job ;D So all depends on your goals, I guess.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 09:13:17 AM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 09:57:51 AM
So what you're saying is;

If you want to think you're progressing, when actually you're wasting your time and have to double your work just because at the time it was "fun" that's what you should aim for as a hobby pianist, rather than listen to the advice of others, more experienced, assuming that's the reason someone joins a piano forum in the first place?

Ridiculous is an understatement of what you've said.

There are so many things wrong with that statement I refuse to address them.

Actually the way you said it it's not ridiculous at all...makes perfect sense :)
In the end it's about what the person thinks gives them value. If it's fine to get admiration from friends who know nothing about piano music and if one keeps away from places like PS, one can be perfectly content with such a scenario.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 11:33:19 AM

Offline kawai_cs

Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 11:47:15 AM

A comment saying don't worry about doing it wrong as long as you enjoy it, does not correct anything and does not help progression.

I wasn't actually meaning to say as you put it. What I meant is that he is very stubborn and obviously needs to make his own mistakes instead of learning from mistakes of others. Since he is so determined and stubborn - let him do it what he thinks suits him best. He has been criticized enough here.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:03 PM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 01:25:16 PM
I would consider your response, had it not been the fact that this example relates to somebody that did join a piano forum and was quite rude with their "advice" to other users.

It would be fair to assume no matter what level you're trying to obtain, the only reason you would be on a forum like this would be to seek advice to either correct your practice or for progression.

To be honest I have a feeling he did not join this forum for such reasons... I think he expected to get some assurance for his out of the box approach and maybe be praised for his bright idea... Unfortunately most of us did not meet his expectations.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 01:33:38 PM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert