Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Clavinova CLP 370 / 545  (Read 2235 times)

Offline bzzzzzt

• PS Silver Member
Clavinova CLP 370 / 545
on: October 21, 2015, 02:08:38 PM
Hi,

I already have a nice acoustic grand piano, but I would like to get an electric one so I can practice without disturbing neighbours etc.  So I don't really care about most of the features, but I do want it to feel as much like a real piano as possible.

I had a look at some in a good piano shop recently and the Clavinova CLP545 with wooden keys seemed to be the best.  But its a bit expensive.  I've seen a 2 year old CLP370 on sale for about two thirds the 545 price.  Its a bit far away for me to just go and try out unless I really know I'm buying it.

I feel a bit out of my depth with these instruments as I've never really played one but I can see a lot of expertise on these forums.  So...

Does this sound like a good idea, or should I save up for longer to get the new one?  (I'd really rather not pay too much as its a second piano)

Will the 370 be similar to the 545 I tried?

Anything to look out for, or concerns about a second hand instrument?

thanks
Beethoven 2/3
Chopin 10/9

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Clavinova CLP 370 / 545
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:21:15 PM
I believe the 370 has a stronger speaker system. The 545 has Bosendorfer sound samples. Both have wooden key cores. I have played neither so can't offer a whole lot more insight than that. Maybe someone else will though.

Unless that two year old 370 was beat in a school environment or some such thing I can't imagine a whole lot going wrong with it  in that amount of time. My Kawai Professional stage piano I play almost daily, compose on it, work with it multi hours per day and it's going strong after nearly 3 years thus far, for instance.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert