\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Clavinova CLP 370 / 545 (Read 1777 times)

Offline bzzzzzt

Clavinova CLP 370 / 545
« on: October 21, 2015, 02:08:38 PM »
Hi,

I already have a nice acoustic grand piano, but I would like to get an electric one so I can practice without disturbing neighbours etc.  So I don't really care about most of the features, but I do want it to feel as much like a real piano as possible.

I had a look at some in a good piano shop recently and the Clavinova CLP545 with wooden keys seemed to be the best.  But its a bit expensive.  I've seen a 2 year old CLP370 on sale for about two thirds the 545 price.  Its a bit far away for me to just go and try out unless I really know I'm buying it.

I feel a bit out of my depth with these instruments as I've never really played one but I can see a lot of expertise on these forums.  So...

Does this sound like a good idea, or should I save up for longer to get the new one?  (I'd really rather not pay too much as its a second piano)

Will the 370 be similar to the 545 I tried?

Anything to look out for, or concerns about a second hand instrument?

thanks
Beethoven 2/3
Chopin 10/9

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Clavinova CLP 370 / 545
«Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:21:15 PM »
I believe the 370 has a stronger speaker system. The 545 has Bosendorfer sound samples. Both have wooden key cores. I have played neither so can't offer a whole lot more insight than that. Maybe someone else will though.

Unless that two year old 370 was beat in a school environment or some such thing I can't imagine a whole lot going wrong with it  in that amount of time. My Kawai Professional stage piano I play almost daily, compose on it, work with it multi hours per day and it's going strong after nearly 3 years thus far, for instance.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.