Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: RUSSIAN PEDAGOGY VS AMERICAN...one preferred over the other or are they the same  (Read 1290 times)

Offline onesurfer1

I have the opportunity to take classes from a Russian born and Tchaikovsky, Moscow Conservatory graduate whom also studied in the USA as well.

Also there is an American teacher that studied and teaches university in the USA.

If i "click" with both and like both...is there a difference or do some people have a preference on Russian Pedagogy vs American?  Are they different methods but the same results?

Any advice/opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member

at one point they were pretty diverse... but since the fall of the Soviet Union that is not so much the case....  although there are many here that will argue that there is still a difference--an there is.. it is not nearly as great a divide as it once was. So many teachers came here to the US from the former communist block nations that nowadays to simply go by where they were trained doesn't necessarily define how they were trained.

I would focus on the personal attributes of each teacher and make your decision based on which one you feel is best for you...:)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert