Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: The effects that life has on artistic depth  (Read 1515 times)

Offline distantfieldrelative

The effects that life has on artistic depth
on: November 08, 2015, 09:32:05 PM
What effects do you think having exeptional (good or bad) experiences in life have on how people play piano? For instance, how do you think  Wladyslaw Szpilmans or Cziffras playing were affected by ww2?
Do you think it helps or hinders them? What's your opinion?
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: The effects that life has on artistic depth
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:45:55 PM
Who you are is far more important than what you play.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 09:59:12 PM
I'm seriously tempted to say... um, no brainer.  Having very significant experiences in one's life -- good or bad -- will have, in my not so humble opinion -- one of two effects on one's music (particularly more recent (that is, Classical or later) or early (that is, Renaissance or earlier).  I'm not so sure about Baroque).  It will either make one's playing or whatever better, if one can channel and express the emotions from the experiences through the music, or worse, if one can't control the emotions from the experience.

The stronger the experience, the greater this effect will be.
Ian

Offline louispodesta

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:55:47 PM
What effects do you think having exeptional (good or bad) experiences in life have on how people play piano? For instance, how do you think  Wladyslaw Szpilmans or Cziffras playing were affected by ww2?
Do you think it helps or hinders them? What's your opinion?
Art, whatever "Fine Art" you effectuate, is the physical manifestation of ones soul.  Therefore, if you have the God given talent/ability to perform on stage, perform with instrument, paint or sculpt with any medium, or dance, then that life experience shows through in your art.

I have actually had an audience member (a total stranger) and a former coach (30 years later) tell me just that.  As far as a help or a hindrance, I just told you that it is a daily reality for the  artist involved.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 06:45:12 AM
life experience shows through in your art.
to cut to the chase.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline gr8ape

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:19:09 PM
But is playing note-for-note with indicated expressions and possibly endless coaching true expression? (just playing devils advocate...)

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 07:26:59 PM
But is playing note-for-note with indicated expressions and possibly endless coaching true expression? (just playing devils advocate...)
Absolutely not.  Which is why there are so many technically brilliant pianists who are so deadly in performance (also applies to other musical arts and ballet, at the very least).  One can program a computer to play note for note with the indicated expressions -- it's a lot easier and cheaper.  Why bother?
Ian
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert