Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: .  (Read 1596 times)

Offline zpianist

on: November 17, 2015, 06:05:27 AM

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Prokofiev- Sarcasms
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:38:05 AM
my first legit question about piano playing! ;D

Anyway... so basically I've been learning this piece (beware of ugly art accompanying the recording) and there is one part in the 5th movement that really trips me up:

these are the 2nd to last + last pages of the entire piece (in this score)

the tempo is actually super slow (if you listen to the recording at around 9:30) but still
how do I play these 32nd notes with rhythmical precision and "feel" them as opposed to carelessly playing them as "grace notes?" or should I just not bother? d:

thanks in advance ;D
zpianist/schumaniac (I locked myself out of my "schumaniac" account. whoops)

From your other posts, I was guessing you were either schumaniac or theholygideons.

When I saw the title "Prokofiev Sarcasms" I was like..... THAT MUST BE SCHUMANIAC

Offline zpianist

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:34 AM

theholygideons

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:43:32 PM
The fact that you are unable to play the 32nd notes correctly in time means that you're not keeping (or trying to keep) an internal pulse. The tempo of these few bars is relatively slow, so there shouldn't be much difficulty in counting quaver beats. However, if the syncopation in the left hand still troubles you, you could further divide the pulse into semiquavers and after mastery, count in quavers again. Remember, there are no short cuts in piano, you just have to think smart.

Best regards,
            theholygideons

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 01:21:43 AM
The fact that you are unable to play the 32nd notes correctly in time means that you're not keeping (or trying to keep) an internal pulse. The tempo of these few bars is relatively slow, so there shouldn't be much difficulty in counting quaver beats. However, if the syncopation in the left hand still troubles you, you could further divide the pulse into semiquavers and after mastery, count in quavers again. Remember, there are no short cuts in piano, you just have to think smart.

Best regards,
            theholygideons

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert