Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Hello guys, I'm new here and I need help regarding choosing a digital piano. tnx  (Read 3066 times)

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Hello Guys, Yet another thread regarding digital pianos here.

I was just wondering if the yamaha p105b(the only one i could afford at this time) would be a good substitute
for my almost 60y/o fritz kuhla upright piano(haven't been maintained in about 7-8 years, some keys are sticking, and
not making a sound when some keys are pressed).

I am a grade 2(Not Sure) piano student, the last pieces that I played(before studying for college) were,
pieczonka's tarantella, Beethoven's Fur Elise, Mozart's Piano Sonata 11 no. 2 so I'm not really that good of a player.

I am really considering going digital because of my area (It floods here whenever it rains heavy about waist high).

I really want to continue learning the piano.

I am going to have my upright piano repaired when the 2nd story of my house is built
(But that'll take 2-3 years due to financial constraints so I'm really considering going digital for now).

My options available(I could go a little distance depending on the replies i get):

Yamaha P-105B - about 900$(converted)
YDP - S31 Arius - about 1300$
Yamaha - DGX 650 - about 1400$
YDP - 142 Arius - about 1400$

And there's the expensive ones like:

Clavinova CLP 430R - 2200$
YDP 240 Arius - 2200$

I really don't like casio, and I can't find any dealers of kawai,roland digitals here. Any help is much appreciated.
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member

I was just wondering if the yamaha p105b(the only one i could afford at this time) would be a good substitute
for my almost 60y/o fritz kuhla upright piano(haven't been maintained in about 7-8 years, some keys are sticking, and

I am a grade 2(Not Sure) piano student, the last pieces that I played(before studying for college) were,
pieczonka's tarantella, Beethoven's Fur Elise, Mozart's Piano Sonata 11 no. 2 so I'm not really that good of a player.

I am really considering going digital because of my area (It floods here whenever it rains heavy about waist high).

I am going to have my upright piano repaired when the 2nd story of my house is built
(But that'll take 2-3 years due to financial constraints so I'm really considering going digital for now).

My options available(I could go a little distance depending on the replies i get):

YDP 240 Arius - 2200$

I really don't like casio, and I can't find any dealers of kawai,roland digitals here. Any help is much appreciated.

For a while there maybe a year or even two ago when the p105 first came out I was suggesting it as the best low end digital out there for those on a severe budget. But understand that I don't play digital piano a whole lot using their own sound engines but rather through VST like Pianoteq. I feel the P105 has a lot of bang for your dollars spent, it has great connectivity which would be of interest to me if I were looking for a piano in this class. I played one in a store only and upped my lowest piano suggestion to that from the Korg offerings ( Sp 170 at the time). But the key draw to me is that ability to "hook it up" to good VST software and or high quality sound systems.

All that said, I have not been looking at the low end since that time. Here is a page of reviews to read about the ones that cost under $1000 US :  https://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2012/09/review-20122013-digital-pianos-under.html
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Thank you for your reply Mr. hfmadopter, I'm not really looking to plug the piano into a computer.., Will I really need a 3rd party plug in to make it sound good? I don't mind playing it with the default tone.

By the way about the forum you suggested, the kawai es100 looks promising, did you have any experience with it? It definitely is cheaper than its yamaha competitors, though I really don't know if it has a feel of a acoustic piano, then again, I'm accustomed to using an antique piano with heavy action so I don't really know how a Digital Piano action should feel.

Thanks in advance..

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member

Offline yewtree

• PS Silver Member
I am a piano student, and have a Yamaha piano, Clavinova   CLP-470. which is really excellent and  has a warm mellow tone and weighted keys, besides all that it  also had to fit in with my budget,  I wanted a decent  piano to learn on.  
I would recommend that you go to a classical music shop and try out several pianos see which one you like.  Get reviews.  Perhaps you will get a good second hand deal , most music shops have a list of people selling.

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Thank you Mr. yewtree. the CLP 470 you recommended was way above my budget which is kinda depressing since it has "Natural Wood + Ivory keytops", definitely and upgrade from its predecessors, wish I had the money to purchase one.

I narrowed down my choices to CLP 430 to Arius YDP162, since I'm getting my year end bonus. Any final suggestions anyone?

thanks in advance

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
I have a DGX 650

here's a sample of me and my Yamaha--it stands up well to the abuse I give it.  It has it's issues but it works for me.   I tend to stick with Yamahas because the preset numbers have remained the same for 20 years for the most part... familiarity counts.

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Hello Mr. Dcstudio thanks for the reply, I have recently tried a DGX 650 in one of the stores in my area. Well for me, the keys were too light, maybe it's just that I am accustomed to using an acoustic piano that's really old. Man, now I can see why almost 90% of the musicians in this forum never recommends digital piano.

But then again, I tried a yamaha upright acoustic piano in the same store, and found out that the action it had were pretty light too. Maybe my old piano was just toooooooooooo old  :(. Wish I could try one of those Clavinova or arius series, both look promising.

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
People pay extra for a piano with an extra heavy action, so they can prepare their muscles for performing on a grand piano.  I have a chance this holiday season to accompany a choir on a grand, I wonder if I am fit enough? I tried a $7000 Steinway studio piano when I bought my $3300 Sohmer, the Steinway was definitely heavy touch and slightly faster.  
I dont understand the fascination with buying plastic toys that will last only a decade or maybe a half more.  I picked up my third wood piano for $50 this year, to put in my country trailer (caravan) to play in the summer. A spinet, it would fit in the trunk of a car on its back.   No it doesn't sound great - it needs to play with the top open, the wood front is too thick.  But the feel is exactly right to keep my muscles in shape.  I cost me $90 to rent a truck  move the piano the 30 miles out there since I don't have a running car, but nothing like the cost of these toys you are trying out.  On top of those the digital toys need a $1000 sound system if you want to hear real piano sounds, and not wear headphones.  My sound system is only $1000 since I found the speakers used from a bar band leaving the road, and repaired the amp from a blown up hulk.  New the sound system would be $1400.  
As far as tuning the piano, I do it myself.  Takes a $20 kiddie keyboard from the toy section of the charity resale shop.  However, I use a $50 hammond H100 organ for tuning reference. 

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
@indianajo - Are you referring to the digital piano as toys? I think that was a bit too harsh, considering it has its own advantages and disadvantages against acoustic pianos. I really wish I'd have enough money to buy a decent upright(like the one you mentioned) and place it in my house where water won't reach it when it floods.

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
@pianoplunker - thanks for the reply, i've read about the p-45 in this forum, 7 out of 10 digital users recommended this one for beginners. Sadly, P-105B is the only one available in my area.

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Update!!

I ended up buying a CLP-430r(1,600 USD I think.)

Tested the YDP 162 Arius and the CLP 430r side by side at the store, Also tested a restored Yamaha 1900's(can't remember) grand piano, and the action was too light which amazed me!

I preferred to go for the 430r due to more heavier key action(My Preference). Will update you guys when I receive the unit this coming 2nd week of January.

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
My CLP-430r arrived yesterday. I absolutely loved it!

Thanks to the guys in this forum in helping me choose a good digital piano.! I think i'll move to the student's section since I'm having problems returning to the piano.(I really have no idea where to start from.)

Thanks so much guys.

Offline rangerx

i have the fp80 , it is a samplemodeling system, you can get a lot more expression vs the yamaha , as far as what i use mostly is the kawai vp1 and for samples the VSL Imperial Grand, as for the fp80 for practice i like it, you can adjust many aspects of the piano, not to mention built in sounds

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
My CLP-430r arrived yesterday. I absolutely loved it!

Thanks to the guys in this forum in helping me choose a good digital piano.! I think i'll move to the student's section since I'm having problems returning to the piano.(I really have no idea where to start from.)

Thanks so much guys.

That's great enjoy it !
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member

YDP 240 Arius - 2200$

The waist high flooding can be a good barometer of how much you want to spend on something that could get whacked by electric power issues. I am not going to sell anything but Yamaha has some 88 key DP for far less than the price ranges you list. 

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Temporarily, I bought the CLP 430(due to my piano cravings). I considered the 105B, as an entry grade digital piano, when I tested it, It didn't satisfy me enough.

I have a place to put my digital piano when it floods again, it's way easier to save than my acoustic piano(which I had a technician estimated its damage due to the recent floods, and the technician told me to buy a new one which is kind of sad.).

When my family saves up enough money, we'll have a 2nd floor before rainy season begins(I think). So I'll move my clavinova there. Or maybe leave the clavinova in the first floor and then purchase an acoustic one to put in the new 2nd floor. Maybe a yamaha upright, since it will have little space so my dream of getting a grand or a baby grand is shattered.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert