Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Ballade No. 1 in G minor  (Read 2676 times)

Offline aaronj

Chopin Ballade No. 1 in G minor
on: November 29, 2015, 08:05:58 PM
I want to learn Chopins Ballade No. 1 i have been taking lessons for 8 years and will start college in the fall for piano performance. I have wanted to learn this piece for very long but do not know if im good enough. is there any pieces i could learn to help me prepare for it?

Offline preludetr

Re: Chopin Ballade No. 1 in G minor
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:20:25 PM
The technical difficulties of the hardest sections in the Ballade are similar to some of the etudes, so if you can play a few Chopin etudes than you can most likely handle it. To gain an understanding of Chopin's musical style and how it should be interpreted, you may want to study a few of his easier pieces first (Nocturnes, Waltzes, Mazurkas, and so on).

Finally, there's the length factor. The Ballade is about 10 minutes long and fairly difficult throughout, and many pianists haven't yet tried to play anything of that scope. I wouldn't try to tackle it unless you have played some other long pieces (10+ minutes) so that you know you can get through a piece that long without becoming technically or musically exhausted.

Disclaimer: I've played through this Ballade a few times and worked on it a little bit, but have never fully learned it. I feel like I have a decent understanding of it, but you might want advice from someone who has really played it.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:27:34 PM
if youre unable to gauge its difficulties then chances are youre still not reading. I NeVER attempt a piece if i do not understand the challenges/and not know how to overcome them.

The best way to decide if you're is for you to look over the score, try and look over the hardest sections and see if you have the ability overcome the challenges.

Offline aaronj

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:23:36 PM
I have played 2 Mozart concertos with no problem at all for memorization.  Also its not that i do not know the difficulty of the piece but that i want to know other pieces that could prepare me for learning it. I have heard alot of people say Etudes Op 10 No 12 for my first one so i will learn that.  Thank you for the help  :)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 12:03:07 AM
if youre unable to gauge its difficulties then chances are youre still not reading. I NeVER attempt a piece if i do not understand the challenges/and not know how to overcome them.

Everyone says that OVER and OVER and OVER. He obviously wants to play the ballade, I say go for it.

The best way to decide if you're is for you to look over the score, try and look over the hardest sections and see if you have the ability overcome the challenges.

That's more like it! :)
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:39:04 PM
Pieces to help?
Well, Chopin's etudes certainly wouldn't hurt.
The octave etude would help, as, in the A major section, there are quite a few in there. Though you likely may need not to study the thing in full.
10/8 would help with rapid light runs.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 11:11:09 PM
Good advice from chopinlover. Also you could practice the c sharp minor section of the a flat major ballade. That part is insane.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline aaronj

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 05:31:01 PM
I have started playing Etude op 10 no 12 and am almost done with it. I will play some other pieces recommended thank you all for the help.

Offline jimroof

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 02:45:37 PM
The section that is the deal breaker for most who give the Gm Ballade a go is the coda.  I would read through the coda first and gauge your ability to tackle that.  If you get a thumbs up on that then you have addressed what will likely be the tallest hurdle in the work.
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert