Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Yamaha AvantGrand  (Read 4984 times)

Offline steven76

Yamaha AvantGrand
on: December 08, 2015, 07:58:12 AM
Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum and would appreciate a little bit of advice from you guys.  I'm an adult intermediate level player of grade 5 standard. I have been playing for four years. Last year I purchased the yamaha Clavinova CLP 585 which has brilliant sounds and realistic harmonics and reverb etc...  The action is very good with key counterweights and gives good dynamic range but it seems to me to lack that realism compared to acoustic pianos I have tried in music stores. When I have lessons I really struggle to get a decent sound out of my teachers acoustic upright.
Do you think it would be worth upgrading to one of the N1 or N2 avantgrand hybrid pianos?  If so which would be the best piano between these two to help me progress as a player?
Thanks in advance to everyone. Steven

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 01:32:40 PM
Not so sure. Recently I have tried both the CLP 585 and the AG N1. Although the AvantGrand is a bit better in action it is not THAT much better. The 585 has wooden keys and a very nice feeling, no, I wouldn't bother upgrading if I were you. Give it a few years ...

I have also had trouble with my teachers' big old upright ... you know, I think the problem rather is that you have to adapt from grand action to upright action.

This problem of mine disappeared when I had been to some piano summer schools where I practiced very intensively on acoustic uprights (Yamahas) and frequently also on different grands. Back home, I found my digital (CLP 465) rather strange, but after some 15 minutes I had got used to it again.
Next summer I did not have those adapting problems anymore, so my conclusion is that once you have learned to adapt to a different kind of piano, you will not forget this "art". Nowadays I can switch rather seamlessly - ok, almost - between digitals and different acoustics. And I don't reflect on my teachers' upright anymore, except that the keyboard is too high.

So my advice to you is to find some quality practice time on uprights. When I upgrade my 465 it will probably be to a N1 as I cannot house an acoustic in my home, but ... it has to wait yet a few years.

Offline michael_c

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 01:46:24 PM
The CLP 585 is an excellent instrument and its sound engine is actually more advanced than that of the AvantGrands. Of course the AvantGrands have the advantage of a real grand piano action, but you may find the sound slightly disappointing compared to your CLP 585.

If you are considering an N2, you should also consider the possibility of buying an acoustic upright or a restored grand for a similar price. The piano can be fitted with a silent system if you need to practice without disturbing others.

I think the most important thing is to try to find real acoustic pianos to practice on from time to time. Each one is different. If you can learn how to get the best out of any piano, you'll find you can practice on almost anything (within reason!).

Offline steven76

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:45:39 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, the trouble is I can't get access to acoustic instruments other than going to play them in my local music store. An acoustic instrument is out of the question both because of problematic access to my upstairs apartment and noise issues. So I guess I will just have to try out the N1 and N2 and see how I feel.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 12:27:48 PM
Try looking for acoustic pianos somewhere else, for example in a nearby church or maybe a senior home. If you can stand an untuned piano in bad general condition, you might find many possibilites ... Also note that you don't have to play on acoustics three times a week or something. Just occasionally.

Of course you should try the AvantGrands too! I just noted the other day that the 585 really is an excellent piano. You can become a good pianist with that one, I assure you that, provided that you get some "flight hours" on other pianos as well. It is not good for anyone to always play on the same piano. Again, I think you have bigger problems shifting between grands and uprights than between digitals and acoustics. (Now I talk about good digitals, like your 585, NOT the low budget models.)
I cannot house an acoustic either where I live, although I can get one for free if I like.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 04:45:09 PM
Today the way decent digital pianos play and not to mention, once again, with VST software especially, if I were an apartment dweller I wouldn't even consider owning an acoustic piano. Turns out my tenants who live in the attached apartment to my house can hear me play at times and like it ( especially in summer with windows open). Even so, I don't wear out the welcome mat, they are great tenants that we don't care to lose because they got tired of me and my piano music. I have been playing more with headphones lately on my digital piano. I mostly play it over my acoustic grand anyway, but all the more reason now. Don't be an obnoxious neighbor I guess is the point. Hah, if I were a better and more advanced pianist and a wealthy person I'd take that whole apartment as my music/piano studio. But that surely is not the case.

Nothing wrong with digital pianos, IMO, and I've owned an acoustic grand for more than 30 years. I'm just not snobby about it. It's great to have, it gives options but if I were forced to live in an apartment situation for what ever reason, I wouldn't own one.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline steven76

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 11:08:58 PM
Thanks so much to you guys for the advice, I have booked a regular one hour practice slot on a baby grand, every two weeks at a local studio. I have also learnt anew to appreciate my 585 for the beautiful sounding instrument that it is. I shall still test out the AvantGrands if not simply out of curiosity, and will post my thoughts on them. I love playing different pianos, I can't believe it took me until in my thirties to discover this brilliant hobby. But better late than never I suppose.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert