Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Significant Works by Kapustin  (Read 1708 times)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Significant Works by Kapustin
on: December 10, 2015, 09:41:09 PM
Hi,
   Would any of you recommend some larger or more serious works by Kapustin?
I have a feeling that his Etudes are taking on the status of "youth pieces" (similar to what's happening to Chopin's Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise.) However, I really like some of his Etudes, and was wondering if he had any more serious pieces that sound as beautiful.

(I don't like his Sonatas very much, but his Variations are okay)

Also, what alternatives are there? Fazil Say is pretty famous, but would it be unorthodox if I played his works? I know that Alexander Rosenblatt is a lesser known alternative (and he probably is more serious in general as a composer.) Who else? William Bolcom's more serious works are atonal, which isnt very appeling...

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Significant Works by Kapustin
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:17:19 AM
The cycle of preludes and fugue are probably one of the most significant and genius additions to the piano literature since shosty's set.

The organization, creativity,  construction and skill they illustrate are incredible.  They are beautiful as well and many don't play them, they are very very difficult. . Not flashy like the etudes but require a certain amount of uncommon control.

For alternatives there is David Amram (though not a lot of solo work, the sonata is awesome I studied it, hardest piece I have ever worked on, I finished about 75% before deciding to put away for a few years.)

Aaron Copland 4 piano blues are great

There jazz etudes don't get much play, super cool though

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Significant Works by Kapustin
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:20:18 AM
The earl wild etudes on gershhon are finding more and more acceptance in competitions and as encodes in the concert stage.  Programmed In recitals a lot as well.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert