Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: ethics, getting paid for a recording...?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
ethics, getting paid for a recording...?
on: December 23, 2015, 02:33:56 AM
In place of a recording, I know a couple places that use recordings instead.  But they hire someone to play the specific music for that event.  The accompanist records the music.  The place uses that recording.  Fair enough.  Pros and cons with that, but it's still a performance.  You still get paid.

Add in that the place uses the same music.  Eventually a lot of the music will be reused.  Since they've already got that first recording of you... They don't really need you anymore for that.  In fact, they could use the recording without you even being aware of it.  Eventually, recordings needed would be less and less.  Eventually, they could just say they're already set for music for that event.

The huge flaw I guess is that live music trumps a recording.  You can adjust things when it's live.

In terms of reusing the recording and the pianist getting paid, what are your thoughts?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: ethics, getting paid for a recording...?
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 11:17:45 PM
On the other side... Say you got paid to create recordings for an event.  And the pieces get recycled.... What if you reuse/resell the exact same recording?  "Piece X?  Sure, of course.... Because I already recorded that and I'll just give the same recording again."

And then add in some technology, either audio editing or MIDI.... Take the same original and tweak it a bit so it's not exactly the same, but a second recording is produced without actually doing much practicing.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert