Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Any issues with Essex? Need help with piano selection  (Read 1885 times)

Offline neilq

Any issues with Essex? Need help with piano selection
on: January 10, 2016, 11:26:50 PM
Some background: Both my wife and I are in our 50's  and started lessons last year..We have been using a yamaha p105 DP but now would like to get a grand piano. In short we are total novices when it comes to piano selection

We are looking to buy a new Essex 173 (5'8).  I know from the pianoworld forum archives that a lot of members feel that the Essex's are overpriced  and some new or used pianos may be a better choice etc. So I know we will be paying more than other choices so I ask that you set price aside.

I would very much appreciate some feedback from any Essex owners or others who can comment on any issues (other than price) I may encounter with an Essex (eg premature issues with the action parts, wont stay in tune, etc) or whatever. I'm not even sure what other things I would need to worry about. Or perhaps price is the only negative?

Any help you can give us newbies is greatly appreciated

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any issues with Essex? Need help with piano selection
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 03:10:06 PM
I don't own an Essex but I have played a lot of them in colleges etc. They are OK as cheap pianos go and sound quite nice when they are new, but they really don't last well - the felt on the hammers gets hard very quickly and things start to squeak and rub internally. I don't really see any way in which they are better than even cheaper pianos, and by spending just a little more you can get a better instrument. Second-hand is great, of course, as long as you have the time and patience to look around and are able to enlist some expert advice to check for hidden problems.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert