Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Worried about Exams and ARCT Selections?  (Read 3933 times)

Offline kellyzoo

Worried about Exams and ARCT Selections?
on: January 25, 2016, 03:05:24 AM
Okay, so about a week ago, I took my grade 10 exam for RCM and I am honestly a little nervous about my results. I don't think I did too bad but I really do want to move on to ARCT. So for a basic rundown of how I did, I think I screwed up the ear training pretty badly. The sight reading wasn't that great either. I was never good at them. I don't think I did too bad on my technique but when I was playing my diminished 7th arpeggios, the examiner cut me off. I don't know if I did something wrong or she just heard enough. These were my pieces:

List A: Prelude and Fugue in D Major BMW 850 (WTC1)
List B: Sonata in E Flat Major by Mozart (Can't remember the specific numbering)
List C: Waltz by Chopin (Again, can't remember the specific one)
List D: Arabesque #1 by Debussy
List E: Rondo by Bartok
Study #1: Serenade by Haberbier
Study #2: By The Mountain Torrent by Hoffmann

Okay so basically I didn't make any big mistakes during by repertoires (No serious memory loss) but I did mess up some small details which I am concerned about. Anyways, I just hope I can get over 75 because I really want to play ARCT.

So assuming I will pass Grade 10 with a 75, I was wondering if there were any pieces that would suit my style. (I really liked most of the pieces I played in Grade 10.) So I really want to play a Beethoven sonata because I've played Haydn and Mozart so I figured it's about time. I also really like Mozart's Turkish Rondo though. I'm looking forward to playing a prelude and fugue by Bach since I really enjoy those but I am open to other suggestions as well. As for List C, I am sort of confused. I want to play Chopin but I don't know if it will be a good idea to play a Chopin for List C and List F. I have no idea for List D and E as they are not as famous. I'm open to suggestions for those lists.

Well that's all for now! This post is kinda useless and consists of me freaking out over my Grade 10 exam and me being to eager about ARCT. Anyways, I hope you guys can help me out with choosing some ARCT pieces. Thanks!  ;D

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: Worried about Exams and ARCT Selections?
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:40:11 AM
So it breaks down as follows?
A: Baroque (typically Bach P+F)
B: Classical Sonata
C: Romantic
D: Impressionistic
E: 20th century/atonal
F: 2 etudes/studies

If so, let me suggest unto you...
A: Bach, prelude and fugue, C# major, Bk 1
B: If you want to do Beethoven, I'd do one of the following:
Any of the Op. 10
Funeral March sonata, Op. 26
Pathetique Sonata, Op. 13
Pastorale sonata, Op. 28
C: If you're into Chopin, I'd recommend a mazurka. Any of the more difficult ones should be decently good. Either that or a nocturne; listen to the whole set and pick one out, it should work as well.
D: I'd do "Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum" from Children's Corner, or indeed really any other of the quicker movements of the suite (The Snow is Dancing, #4, comes to mind). You could also do some Ravel; one of the movements of the Sonatine would work well.
If you make some of your other repertoire easier, you could do, for a huge challenge, Debussy's Reflets dans l'eau; gorgeous piece, but a huge piece by all means.
E: Lots of options here; I'd do something by Ginastera myself (the Argentinian Rondo comes to mind, as does the entire suite of Danzas Argentinas; both worth extensive listening), or Prokofiev.
F: Also lots of options here; check out early Prokofiev etudes as well as the Chopin etudes you most likely desire to play.

Offline kellyzoo

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:46:45 AM
Thank you for the reply, chopinlover01!

I'll take a listen to the prelude and fugue by Bach. Although, if I am honest, I personally think most of Bach's Preludes and Fugues sound very similar. Maybe it's just me. I was actually looking into the Pathetique sonata and the Moonlight sonata but apparently they are both "overplayed" and I'm not too sure about learning them for an exam. Maybe just for my own pleasure one day. I'll definitely take a look into Pastorale though! I am looking to playing a Mazurka by Chopin actually but I'm also considering something by Brahms. I do love Debussy but I wanna keep my options open. Maybe try something new. I'll take a listen to your suggestions for List E as I have not heard many 20th century compositions. And List F is still open! Most likely Chopin but I still have no idea which study. I'm still new to this ARCT. I'm probably too eager. Haha  :P

Offline joshjackson

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:21:34 AM
Hi Kelly, it doesn't sound like you did too badly for the exam. I do not have any experience with RCM exams, but I hope you get that 75%! Wow, RCM looks like quite demanding to require 75% to proceed to the ARCT.

For List A, I can't really comment because I'm not familiar with Bach P&Fs. I much prefer Scarlatti but ARCT forces you to play Bach (know why that is??) Maybe have a look at BWV 857, 874 and 880.

For List B, I was just looking at the syllabus and I don't think Pastorale is in the syllabus? Definitely have a look at the Funeral March one. Personally, I think if you think you can pull off Moonlight or Pathetique convincingly, that shouldn't deter you from doing it.

For List C, if you wanted something non-Chopin (so that you can do a Chopin etude), how about Brahms? Rhapsody in G minor, Op 79 is a pretty nice piece, although it looks to have some tricky octave jumps in the left hand. Also, I don't see any Chopin Mazurkas in the syllabus.

For List D, I like the Debussy La cathédrale engloutie (no. 10).

For List E, not my favourite period of music but I would go for something folksy like Bartok dances..

For your List F, you can do Chopin. How about Op 10, no2? Short and sweet. Mainly tests your chromatic scales..

Maybe you should ask your piano teacher for advice as well. I'd also recommend that you listen while looking at the scores, to see what is within your ability as well. There are many you tube videos that have that. Good luck and keep us updated  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert