Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Hey i need help (Left hand Fur Elise)  (Read 6431 times)

Offline Tek

• PS Silver Member
Hey i need help (Left hand Fur Elise)
on: December 27, 2004, 07:21:16 PM
Hey ive ha a passion for playing the piano since i was young but never got around to getting one. While my passion still burning i finally got one and learned most of Fur Elise with my right hand id say about 90% with no errors but minimal slow down. It was my first day playing it and i think i did well. I cant seem to get down the left hand on this piece. Any responce would be appretiated. I also cant read music so if anyone has a site or soemthign to help me get acquainted with it please help me out here.
P.s. If any criticism please make it constructive

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hey i need help (Left hand Fur Elise)
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 07:27:59 PM
Yeah man, I know exactly what you mean.  It helps to know theory so you can recognize the various broken chords (eg A minor chord) in the left hand.  If you understand this stuff you can memorize the notes easier and it will help out your sightreading as well because you will know which keys to play without looking at every single mark on the sheetmusic.

If Bernhard would drop us a note, Im sure he has a number of helpful suggestions for you.

donjuan

Offline Mycroft

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hey i need help (Left hand Fur Elise)
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 02:13:10 AM
Without being more specific about which measures you're having trouble with, it's difficult to give advice.  There are only two hand positions for the first part.  The first uses the 5-2-1 fingers and the second uses 5-1 with a swingover to hit G# with the 2.

The second part, you slide the hand over so that 2 is on G, then you slide it over so that 2 is on D (although you don't play D) and after G-(G) you swing the 2 finger over the thumb to hit B.  Then you bring your hand back to the same position you started, with 2 on E and finally back to 5-1 on E-(E).

Does this help, or is there some other section you're having trouble with?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert