Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Help with writing themes.  (Read 2443 times)

Offline marijn1999

Help with writing themes.
on: February 07, 2016, 08:17:48 PM
Hello everyone,

Since a few months I'm getting more interested in composing besides playing piano. Right now I'm working on a rondo in G major, and two sonatas in E flat major and C minor. I write in the style of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven with a preference for very late Mozart and early Beethoven.

However I'm also experiencing a lot of trouble with writing good catching themes. When I go through Mozart's and Beethoven's themes I see that they could write very good themes but I can't see how they wrote them.

Is there anyone who can help me on writing themes in their style?

Thanks,

Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help with writing themes.
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:03:13 PM
Um when I think of beethoven i dont think of a great melodist..I think of him as a person that could do a LOT with boring or basic material. When it comes to writing music like beethoven, especially sonatas..I would focus on creating little blocks of music or to be more terminology correct "motifs" and build it from there. I can't analyze theory very well yet so its hard to explain.

I dont play Mozart much (yet) but when i think of his style i just see a lot of ornamentation xD. But to get a good view of his melodic style, i'd look into his operas and italian contep. operas. From what I gathered from my listening is that his style was really influenced by the way italian composers projected their melodies...

Dont know much haydn so  8)

but yeah, this is just an unprofessional/amateurish look into his music so dont take me seriously. I'm good at writing themes but I SUCK at knowing what to do with them harmonically. Takes me quite a while (with a lot of headaches) to get it "right!" I should probably start stuudying theory soon..

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert