Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Textures of scale degrees (ear training)  (Read 2663 times)

Offline boxjuice

Textures of scale degrees (ear training)
on: February 10, 2016, 12:42:40 AM
Ive been doing interval training and i recently read about scale degree training. I tried it out on this app that plays a random string of 5 notes, starting out with just the tonic, mediant, and dominant, but progressively more and more degrees added after each level. While the tonic is easily recognised by it's sense of resolution, i struggled to distiguish the mediant and dominatant. Is there anything like the reference songs for interval training, that can be used on scale degree training to help distinguish the degree.

Thanks,

Offline where_july

Re: Textures of scale degrees (ear training)
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:31:07 AM
Is there anything like the reference songs for interval training, that can be used on scale degree training to help distinguish the degree.

Thanks,

This is the music subject that teaches what you ask for:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solf%C3%A8ge

So while singinig through the subject' lessons your inner pitch feeling is trained to distinguish among intervals (relative pitch) and content of chords.

For excercise you would be fine write down the intervals through any of the piece you play and singing these pitch precise, then say the name yourself. Probably some cheap or free text book on basic solfeggio would do you good too.

V.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert