Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Anyone familiar with the International Library of Piano Music  (Read 2636 times)

Offline richardb

• PS Silver Member
Is anyone here familiar with this 8 volume set?  I played some of the pieces in the earlier volumes as a boy, inherited these from my parents, and now as an adult enjoy playing (or trying to play, sight-reading but not mastering) selected pieces in some of the later volumes.  If you know these volumes, what do you think of them? Just curious. -Richard

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone familiar with the International Library of Piano Music
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:44:32 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone familiar with the International Library of Piano Music
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 04:07:50 PM
I collect all of these things from the now defunct University society. Your title is off a bit, you have the international library of music, of which you have the piano music (they made others), the international library of piano music were green and white,I have these, the other big one (the green and cream) I also have the hard to find LP collections of the complete recordings of all the volumes, many of those are the only recordings of those works that can be found anywhere.
It's top notch. Good layouts,  some rare pieces, easy to read, lots of variety. I also have modern music and musicians , a couple others I cannot recall. I also have the New England conservatory home piano course which was multiple hard cover folios with tons of individual loose leave progressive lessons.
Scribner make a great red set, i have those and also the 'new Scribner', literally my book case by piano is a 'shrine' to only these dinosaurs of the piano music publishing world.
You have a great little treasure, but your set is incomplete, there are some music history ones missing from your lot. but the main meat and potatoes of the piano music is there for this one set at least, enough to keep anyone busy and entertained for a good long while
if you really like them you should research those other multi volume sets that came out at the time.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert