Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Nocturne in F Sharp Major  (Read 2511 times)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Nocturne in F Sharp Major
on: February 16, 2016, 05:47:28 AM
I started this one about 5 weeks ago. Please let me know what you think. This piece means very much to me.

You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline distantfieldrelative

Re: Chopin - Nocturne in F Sharp Major
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:27:07 AM
The only thing I have to say is that I personally prefer it to be faster.
But who cares about personal opinions? Fantastic.
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline daniele1234

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:05:08 AM
Really good play playing Noah - love the flow and the rubato you use. However, one thing I noticed is that the middle section is rather heavy, and while I understand most likely because of the piano you are using not yourself, if you could make that middle section be really light (leggeiro) almost like a butterfly, then you would really make advancements in this piece. Also, the same applies for the first (and last) section - to me they sound rather heavy, so perhaps you want to make it slightly lighter (but not too much) as otherwise the piece can sound rather drowning and can tire you out. Anyway, great playing and good progress in only 5 weeks.

BTW, how much did you practise that piece over the 5 weeks?
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Franck Prelude, Chorale and Fugue
- Xenakis Herma

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 02:39:20 PM
The only thing I have to say is that I personally prefer it to be faster.
But who cares about personal opinions? Fantastic.

Well thanks! It's funny that you mention the speed notching up a bit because when recording just for fun (to see how it sounds) I found that it was much too fast for my taste. So I was trying hard not to make it too fast! But maybe I overcompensated. Thanks for your opinion :)

Really good play playing Noah - love the flow and the rubato you use. However, one thing I noticed is that the middle section is rather heavy, and while I understand most likely because of the piano you are using not yourself, if you could make that middle section be really light (leggeiro) almost like a butterfly, then you would really make advancements in this piece. Also, the same applies for the first (and last) section - to me they sound rather heavy, so perhaps you want to make it slightly lighter (but not too much) as otherwise the piece can sound rather drowning and can tire you out. Anyway, great playing and good progress in only 5 weeks.

BTW, how much did you practise that piece over the 5 weeks?

I know what you mean, but how would I get it to sound "lighter"? Quieter? Spending less time on the notes? Less pedaling? It could also be the way I record, it brings a heavy tone across.

I usually ran through it once or twice every day except I didn't have access to a piano for 1.5 of the weeks.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:29:50 PM
 I started this piece 5 weeks ago,too!  Just make sure the piece has more dynamics. Great job anyways!
Beethoven Op 2/2
Chopin Op 20, maybe op 47/38
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 06:15:42 PM
Just make sure the piece has more dynamics.

Where do you suggest adding them and which dynamics? I tried a few ideas, such as 1:10, the gradual decrescendos starting at 1:22 and 1:58, Crescendo @ 1:44, etc... Also I would like to hear you play it, if you have a recorder of some sort. :) It's interesting to compare different interpretations!

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 02:16:10 AM
  I am not saying my opinions are very good. I make the piece dramatic. The doppio movimento section has a lot of cresendos. The 2nd theme of that part I think is louder. The outer sections should be relaxing and soft. However, these are just my opinions.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 02:41:58 AM
I love it Noah!  8)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 03:18:03 AM
You're a really good chopinista. :)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 04:23:13 AM
  I am not saying my opinions are very good. I make the piece dramatic.

Again, I would love it if you could post a recording, it's so much easier to share music via music than via words ;)

I love it Noah!  8)

Thanks DC! I love this piece also :) <333

You're a really good chopinista. :)

LOL what is that supposed to mean? Thanks I think ;D

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 04:27:00 AM
chopinista-chopinist

A pianist who specializes in Chopin. You know like Rubinstein, Koczalski, Sirota...etc. Basically I'm just saying that you're really good at playing Chopin. :)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 04:31:10 AM
Basically I'm just saying that you're really good at playing Chopin. :)

OH! Thanks!! Thanks a ton!! That means a lot to me :D

Perhaps there is hope for 2020 yet... ;D

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 03:05:20 PM
 I don't have time to record in February and some of the early months of Spring. Sorry :'(.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline chopinawesome

Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 03:08:54 PM
I don't have time to record in February and some of the early months of Spring. Sorry :'(.
Also, I don't have a good recording device so the notes will sound all blurry and weird. I will try to record it in March.
Beethoven Op 2/2
Debussy Etude 7
Grieg Op 16
Want to do:
Chopin Concerti 1 and 2
Beethoven Waldstein
Ravel Miroirs

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 04:31:57 PM
Commented on YT, but I will here as well.
Very nice But I second the notion of lightening up the middle section.

Also, I'd recommend listening to Rubinstein with everything Chopin, but especially with this.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 04:39:41 PM
Also, I don't have a good recording device so the notes will sound all blurry and weird. I will try to record it in March.

Sounds good, I look forward to hearing it! :)

Commented on YT, but I will here as well.
Very nice But I second the notion of lightening up the middle section.

Also, I'd recommend listening to Rubinstein with everything Chopin, but especially with this.

Thanks for the comment :) I had never heard that recording, it was very beautiful. I'm not the biggest fan of Rubinstein on some recordings, but his Nocturnes are some of the best. The middle section was very different than I had ever heard it played. Thanks for posting it 8)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 04:41:07 PM
Rubinstein for me is the standard from which I compare everything else, though with some notable exceptions. He's not my favorite in the Ballades, but he's very nice in the scherzi; he controls it well, occasionally letting go but never getting too crazy.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 05:12:31 PM
What about sofrotniskys? I think he's similar to you in this nocturne because he also looks for drama!

Tbh I like your heavy touch in the middle section, might be a preference thing. Though I usually don't prefer a lot of drama in chopins nocturnes there are a few exceptions in where it could really work well. This one would be one of them and the op. 48 no. 1 too.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 05:27:07 PM
Rubinstein for me is the standard from which I compare everything else, though with some notable exceptions. He's not my favorite in the Ballades, but he's very nice in the scherzi; he controls it well, occasionally letting go but never getting too crazy.

Those were very nice, thanks for posting them! I might prefer Pollini still, but Rubinstein is a close second ;)

What about sofrotniskys? I think he's similar to you in this nocturne because he also looks for drama!

Tbh I like your heavy touch in the middle section, might be a preference thing. Though I usually don't prefer a lot of drama in chopins nocturnes there are a few exceptions in where it could really work well. This one would be one of them and the op. 48 no. 1 too.

Sofrontnisky was quite nice, a very different interpretation than most. And I believe that, like the preludes, the nocturnes should be played with emotion/passion/drama/whateveryouwanttocallit as the priority. I know many would disagree!

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 02:51:37 AM
emotion/passion/drama/whateveryouwanttocallit

We should have a word for it. Maybe chopinphilia
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert