Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Bach Partita no.1 Prelude  (Read 1245 times)

Offline daniele1234

Bach Partita no.1 Prelude
on: February 17, 2016, 09:58:11 AM
Hi, everyone. For the past two weeks or so I have been working on bach's partita no.1, and even though there are some technical mistakes/pedalling and rubato issues, I made a recording for myself  yesterday and would like to share it with you all for your feedback and criticsm. Please understand that I am only 14, and have only been working on this partita for maybe 30 minutes every day as I have much bigger pieces to work on (currently Les Adieux all movements). All feedback is appreciated! Here it is:

thank you

Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Franck Prelude, Chorale and Fugue
- Xenakis Herma

Offline daniele1234

Re: Bach Partita no.1 Prelude
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:37:08 PM
Anyone?
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:53:49 PM
Hi Daniele,
You have done some good work here.. The one thing i might mention is that the ornaments  sound clumsy, forced,  or awkward sometimes.. Although you may hear the piece at 'that'  tempo, with Bach, one must adjust the speed to accommodate the ornaments effortlessly - and 'musically'.  
Good work!
4'33"

Offline daniele1234

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 08:54:30 PM
Anyone?
Currently learning:

- Schumann Kreisleriana
- Xenakis Herma

Offline pantonality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:17:04 PM
Hi Daniele,
You have done some good work here.. The one thing i might mention is that the ornaments  sound clumsy, forced,  or awkward sometimes.. Although you may hear the piece at 'that'  tempo, with Bach, one must adjust the speed to accommodate the ornaments effortlessly - and 'musically'.  
Good work!
Agreed! Baroque ornamentation is a science all its own. What edition are you working from? I can't necessarily tell if you're already doing this but sometimes you need to start on the auxiliary note for the rhythm and harmony to work best. Usually (for me) that means starting on the upper or auxilary note when it is the more dissonant. Other than the ornaments you've done a nice job, but the ornaments are kinda crucial in this piece.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert