Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Tchaikovsky piano concerto 1 - best edition?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline ewalker1

Tchaikovsky piano concerto 1 - best edition?
on: February 17, 2016, 12:12:19 PM
Hi,

My teacher has recommended that I learn the first Tchaikovsky concerto.
I'm looking for the most authoritative edition, but there only seems to be editions by Peters and Schirmer (hardly reputable).
I've found a Jurgenson edition online, but seems to have been out of print for some time.

What would be the standard edition that is most commonly used? Surely there must be an authentic Russian edition, for a work as popular as this?

Thanks

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tchaikovsky piano concerto 1 - best edition?
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:38:50 PM
as with most things of this type, not really a clear cut answer, it depends on any number of factors including your familiarity w/ other works of the period, other works by the composer, concertos in general.
do you have enough experience to work off a score w little to no editing or do you know enough about the style or music to catch bad editing and make your own informed interpretive call?
/
best approach i have found is to get multiple editions then compare then as needed to make a call one way or the other.
/
IMC/internatinal music corp makes good scores, never had any problem w/ them, i really like the scriabin polonaise and scriabin fantasie scores i have from them. they jwpepper has an imc of this
Kalmus is usually garbage, but not so much for editing but for print quality and score quality, but the music itself is usually quite good, and my kalmus tchaikovsky selections for solo piano felt spot on when i worked from it.
/
Schirmer is edited by Joseffy, which i really like. Schirmer is not bad per say, it's just that for some music there are superior choices, only really encountered this in Mozart and Bach so far, a bit in Beethoven. so this is probably a good bet for a main score.
/
The Tchaikovsky peters editions i looked at for pc no 2 was really nice, i would think that for  no1 is fine too (though i think it's the least effective of his pc's, that concert fantasy, wow, now that's a great piece, but if you've been assinged number one, i guess  you can work through it and circle back to concert fantasy later on, that one i really recommend, not sure if it's in print though imslp likely would be main source to go through).
/
just buy one or two and get the others on loan from a library for reference, or get them all via inter library loan then decide after looking them all over.

https://www.jwpepper.com/Concerto--no.-1-in-Bb-Minor/7199557.item#.VsSEMPkrKUk

https://www.jwpepper.com/Concerto-No.-1-in-Bb-Minor%2C-Op.-23/7159601.item#.VsSEOPkrKUk

btw don't write off kalmus entirely, the old vintage kalmus pre warner brothers are awesome, the green ones and those green ones w the red borders especially :)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert