Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Planning to audition for music college; need help!!!  (Read 1625 times)

Offline freehaydn

Planning to audition for music college; need help!!!
on: February 17, 2016, 11:56:13 PM
Hey guys like my title said I'm planning to audition for a (undergrad) music college/conservatory/something of that sort but im not sure about my choices

Bach prelude and fugue WTC1 no 21 B flat major BWV 866
Chopin Scherzo in B minor
Chopin Etude 10/1
Scriabin Etude 8/12 (would much prefer an alternative that is SLIGHTLY less difficult...)

I am lost at what classical piece i can choose to fit
I also need an another piece no less than six minutes in a different style than those above
THANKS!!

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Planning to audition for music college; need help!!!
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:47:54 AM
How long should the classical piece be?

BTW, I don't know much about difficulty of etudes, but for some alternatives for the Scriabin, I'd suggest the Rachmaninoff Etudes Op. 39 nos. 3 and 5.

Offline skywalker_06

Re: Planning to audition for music college; need help!!!
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:31 PM
First, I probably wouldn't play the Chopin scherzo just because of how overplayed that particular one is, unless you're super comfortable with it and can play it really well because that's really all that matters in the end (how you play the piece rather than what piece you play).

For a classical piece you could do a classical sonata? And if the whole thing is going to be too much of a time barrier, do just the first movement. I'd recommend the Beethoven Op. 7 sonata or the Mozart No. 12 k.332 sonata.

You could do a 20th century work for something different? Perhaps, Barber or Prokofiev? Or maybe a Shostakovich Prelude and Fugue?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert