Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Learning Large Pieces???  (Read 1553 times)

Offline skywalker_06

Learning Large Pieces???
on: February 18, 2016, 08:52:55 PM
So I've learned some pretty large pieces in the past (Beethoven 3rd mvt concerto no. 4, Chopin Fantasie and Ballade no. 1, a few Haydn/Beethoven sonatas, etc) but it always takes me SO LONG to learn these pieces up to a good standard and I was wondering what tips anyone had for learning pieces WELL but in a timely manner. I'm planning to learn all of Chopin's 1st concerto and while it's not too difficult for me to sight read through, it still takes me a while to read through the piece, even slowly. So how should I go about learning large pieces? Read through the whole thing countless times slowly with both hands until it's memorized and I can get it up to tempo? Focus on smaller bits then move onto a new section? Also, I have a really really bad habit of stopping and starting when I'm sight reading (and practicing in general), so any tips anyone has on this general topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Learning Large Pieces???
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:01:26 PM
So I've learned some pretty large pieces in the past (Beethoven 3rd mvt concerto no. 4, Chopin Fantasie and Ballade no. 1, a few Haydn/Beethoven sonatas, etc) but it always takes me SO LONG to learn these pieces up to a good standard and I was wondering what tips anyone had for learning pieces WELL but in a timely manner. I'm planning to learn all of Chopin's 1st concerto and while it's not too difficult for me to sight read through, it still takes me a while to read through the piece, even slowly. So how should I go about learning large pieces? Read through the whole thing countless times slowly with both hands until it's memorized and I can get it up to tempo? Focus on smaller bits then move onto a new section? Also, I have a really really bad habit of stopping and starting when I'm sight reading (and practicing in general), so any tips anyone has on this general topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
"Large" pieces? Try some Sorabji - or Busoni's piano concerto - or Alkan's Opp. 35/39, Finnissy's A History of Photography in Sound et al...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline medtnaculus

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:19:52 AM
"Large" pieces? Try some Sorabji - or Busoni's piano concerto - or Alkan's Opp. 35/39, Finnissy's A History of Photography in Sound et al...

Best,

Alistair

Jean Catoire's Piano sonata, Opus 420 (not Georgy), not only long but also BLAND

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:26:18 AM
Jean Catoire's Piano sonata, Opus 420 (not Georgy), not only long but also BLAND
You're telling me it is - as indeed is most of his work tht I've encountered; if Catoire, then...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:42:35 AM
It's all about how you organize it. Very important to have it memorized too.

I divide every piece I play [if it's long] into sections, and if it's in a recognizable form (pardon my lack of theory skills), then that makes it even more convenient.

Don't play long pieces again and again, you won't better that way. Pick a few sections you want to work on and just drill those for the day.
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert