Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How accomplished of a pianist would I be if I learned this set of music?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline recnepspencer

I want to learn the transcendental etudes because I could do it but it would be a challenge. my piano teacher says I'm advanced but that's not too difficult to achieve and she's pretty clueless when it comes to high level music. So would that be awesome if I learned the transcendental etudes or is that something plenty of people can do?
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
I want to learn the transcendental etudes because I could do it but it would be a challenge. my piano teacher says I'm advanced but that's not too difficult to achieve and she's pretty clueless when it comes to high level music. So would that be awesome if I learned the transcendental etudes or is that something plenty of people can do?
I think you would be better off if you accomplished some understanding of what making music is really about...

Offline isyriel

i know ill get flak for this but..

i think diffculty is just a measure of how much practice you need to do.   

that is in terms of technique. 

musicallity comes for experience, research/education and yourself (not in any particular order).  this part is much harder to achieve.  each of these pieces evoke different pictures emotions etc

as for how accomplished, unless you make it known to the world, are aren't exactly gonna get noticed.  in terms of progress, you would probably be high-end 3rd-4th year university IMO. but keeps in mind there are still chopin rachmaninoff liszt (many more ...)sonatas, gaspard de la nuit,,  schubert song cycles, probably many more large scale works that i can't think of which are probably equal whether it be through it's technical challenges or musical content and all these works are within standard professional rep so  ...

but to have learned and perform the complete liszt transcendental etudes, i would take my hat off to anyone if they did that  ;)
looking for repertoire.

Offline jimroof

I have to borrow a line from Mark Twain that he used to describe the music of Wagner.

In this case, I will use it to describe the music of Liszt - "It's actually much better than it sounds".

I've played Liszt, but I never got anything musically satisfying from it.  It was like a show tune, at least to my ears.  Dig into some Chopin Etudes if you want to grow technically AND musically.
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline recnepspencer

I agree, I would definitely choose the Chopin etudes over Liszt in terms of musical quality. The main reason I plan on learning the Liszt ones is to develop my technical skills. The Liszt ones are growing on me though, kind of an aquired taste I guess lol. My favorite music actually used to be rap; it took a while for classical music to grow on me.
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
So would that be awesome if I learned the transcendental etudes or is that something plenty of people can do?

your motivation for learning the piano is far too weak to see you through to that level. this statement is 100% reliant on your perception of yourself and others perception of you...

if you want to feel "awesome" to others all the time... oh my friend, find another way because you aren't going to get that from the piano...lol.  It doesn't matter what level you get to.

Offline briansaddleback

I don't understand your second sentence there. But if you're still learning in the early stages (many early students deem themselves 'advanced')  take it slow and learn solid foundational piano technique and practice right. Get into music for repertoire that you like or are fond of. Not what you can use as a means of putting another etch on your bedpost. Music is not that at all.

another note: There at a school, you will find a handful of mediocre students who can play an oatmeal mush bowl of liszt or what have you 'brilliant' piece or part of. scramble through it. They don't really turn heads (just the friends that are near him or her will out of acknowledgement).

the mediocre student who faithfully pounds through simpler pieces of mozart or bach or czerny or scarlatti but plays it w utmost technique either slowly but musically, they turn heads. Trust me. These are not students of mediocre character though. because they know what music is all about.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member

the mediocre student who faithfully pounds through simpler pieces of mozart or bach or czerny or scarlatti but plays it w utmost technique either slowly but musically, they turn heads. Trust me. These are not students of mediocre character though. because they know what music is all about.

and they are the ones who have the stamina for a lifetime at the piano.. they slowly and methodically claw their way to mastery...  their success is hard won and appreciated that much more, too.  :)   

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
There are different approaches to playing piano so don't listen to these people. If you love fast and energetic pieces then that's good for you, it doesn't make you any less of a musician then people who work on slow works. It's all about preferences, so don't listen to the people that say you "dont understand music" just because you enjoy energetic stuff. I'd listen to your teacher about not being ready, however, you can discuss with her about how to prepare for Liszt's etudes. She might give you a good list of stuff that's fun and challenging.

be the pianist YOU want to be. Forget about the image of "real musicians" people on this forum are projecting onto you. Having fun takes priority! Good luck!

Offline briansaddleback

^You know,  I would agree with you on the most part. But I shell out my advice on a case by case basis.

IF
You come here and say I want to learn transcendental etudes. I believe or feel I am ready. I  want to do this.
Then sure, my advice would be in line with yours. Tackle it in different ways and approach music in different ways. Everyone's road in music is different.

but if you come here and state this:

"So would that be awesome if I learned the transcendental etudes or is that something plenty of people can do?"

I dont see this as a sincere approach to music but more about narcissism and a concern about what others see me as. I mean for one thing, who cares if plenty of other people do this? Does that deter you from doing something? Should be an approach to music w sincerity. Yes, that is many different ways.

An approach from narcissim? there is only one way. And that kind of response from me.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline briansaddleback

double post
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
My question to you is: does it matter? He is most probably young and if he likes showing off, then so what? As long as it's a motivation to pursue music then it shouldn't matter. Plenty of musicians, especially notable ones (hi Liszt), were focused on competition and showmanship during their early periods. Who knows, what if he also has a fundamental interest in exploring the technical possibilities of the instrument? I say let people carve out their own journeys in music and in life, there's no need to attack a person's character when you know little to nothing about them.

We should put aside the judgmental attitude and focus on discussing the music instead.

Offline briansaddleback

Fair enough, point taken.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
My question to you is: does it matter? He is most probably young and if he likes showing off, then so what? As long as it's a motivation to pursue music then it shouldn't matter. Plenty of musicians, especially notable ones (hi Liszt), were focused on competition and showmanship during their early periods. Who knows, what if he also has a fundamental interest in exploring the technical possibilities of the instrument? I say let people carve out their own journeys in music and in life, there's no need to attack a person's character when you know little to nothing about them.

We should put aside the judgmental attitude and focus on discussing the music instead.

who among us did not listen to piano music for hours and hours dreaming that we were the ones playing... you are right mjames...  encouragement not judgment.

besides the motivation in the beginning just needs to be motivating... if it keeps you at the piano than it's probably good.

alright so let's give him an answer he will like...

if you were to master the T--tudes and play them musically at your young age you would be on TV.... maybe...lol...   Lots of pros play the T-tudes and amateurs, too... but no it's not something "A LOT" of people can do...generally speaking.

whoever you are dreaming of impressing with this would be downright shocked if you were to show up tomorrow with any one of them mastered...

they may cast your young likeness in bronze... :)

go for it!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
There are different approaches to playing piano so don't listen to these people. If you love fast and energetic pieces then that's good for you, it doesn't make you any less of a musician then people who work on slow works. It's all about preferences, so don't listen to the people that say you "dont understand music" just because you enjoy energetic stuff.

That was not the point...at least not mine. To ask whether it would be "awesome if I learned the transcendental etudes or is that something plenty of people can do" shows little interest in the music itself but rather just comparison to others, which is a road to failure in actually learning to play any music in a meaningful way.

Immaturity is understandable, but not to be encouraged IMO. But what do I know, I'm a cynical old b*stard...

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Good, accurate and humerous to read.

because you know how we pianists just walk around thinking we are the bees knees--so confident in our abilities...  that's why it's so easy to spot a faker... they are far too sure of themselves. 

Offline jimroof

because you know how we pianists just walk around thinking we are the bees knees--so confident in our abilities...  that's why it's so easy to spot a faker... they are far too sure of themselves. 

When I was getting my piano performance degree (way back in the late 1970's), I could not imagine a more neurotic and emotionally fragile group of people than the piano performance majors.  I somehow managed to be somewhat less fragile, but make no mistake about it, I was my own worst critic and despite enjoying when I performed, the path to getting there was filled with self-doubt and lapses in both technical and musical confidence - call them chasms...
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
When I was getting my piano performance degree (way back in the late 1970's), I could not imagine a more neurotic and emotionally fragile group of people than the piano performance majors.  I somehow managed to be somewhat less fragile, but make no mistake about it, I was my own worst critic and despite enjoying when I performed, the path to getting there was filled with self-doubt and lapses in both technical and musical confidence - call them chasms...

yes we are the worst...pathetically neurotic sometimes

if we had only known how much more important confidence and good equipment is than talent or ability in this business.

Offline virtuoso80

• PS Silver Member
I want to chime in as someone who is somewhat competitive and ego-driven - I mean, if you hate what you're doing otherwise, you're just not going to put in the effort needed to get to that level. But I can't say I don't have some of the same driving forces. I mean, didn't Liszt too? So it's kinda hard to invalidate right out.

DO be aware getting to a certain level means having insight and control over details the 'laymen' you want to impress won't even be aware of, while watching them swoon over performances you see lacking, and it will be frustrating. Meanwhile, you're not going to impress people in the know all that much. So think about that.

Offline briansaddleback

That's why you don't play music to impress. You play to share and inspire one another. People pay for that. Not pay for to get impressed.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline danielo

I think everyone who starts up the piano, or any musical instrument at a young age, has the dream to play amazingly and impress others. Anyone young who says their dream is to interpret the music of the masters for its own sake is probably full of ********* and not to be trusted.......!  :D
But impressing others for its own sake is a novelty that wears off pretty quickly, and it becomes more and more about communicating your own feelings about the music, and doing justice to the composer too. Ask any concert pianist!
Learning:

Rachmaninov Preludes Op10 1, 4 and 5
Chopin Ballade in G Minor
Chopin Etude Op10 No 2
Schubert Impromptu No 3

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member

the problem is that when we were young most of us were enthralled by this music and anyone who could play it.  We really think that everyone gets that same rush from music that we do and it just isn't true.   

A NY Met concertmaster violinist stood in the subway playing a 2 million dollar strad for 2 hours and nobody noticed him any more than any other subway musician.   

muggles just don't get it...   trying to impress them is an exercise in futility.   I have been told I was amazing when I know I played like shite and ignored when I know I played pretty flawlessly.   There are many other variables involved.   The average person can't even tell if the piano is in tune..  they are utterly clueless...  :)   they need to be entertained...

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert