Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin/Godowsky - Op. 10, No. 6  (Read 1736 times)

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Chopin/Godowsky - Op. 10, No. 6
on: March 02, 2016, 01:49:10 PM
My left hand adventures continue. I've wanted to learn/attempt one of these Etudes for the past decade. I decided to finally learn one this year.

Listening to the recording I hear so many things to fix. It will probably take me the rest of the year to get those 32nds even and with balanced voicing. Regardless, I figured I would share, for those who enjoy this music.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin/Godowsky - Op. 10, No. 6
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:32:29 PM
Very, very well done :)
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:53 AM
Thanks for the nice feedback!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:42:55 AM
Wow, this is an incredible accomplishment! Of course it still needs some work but as I can see you are already aware of that.

Please do post more, especially if you're working on any other of these studies. Thanks for posting man.

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 04:22:01 AM
Thanks!

Offline kalospiano

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:44:54 AM
why do I keep watching videos that make me feel bad about myself? :-)) good stuff man!

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 02:10:16 AM
why do I keep watching videos that make me feel bad about myself? :-)) good stuff man! 

Me too!!  This pleases my ear a lot! :)
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:48 AM
Very good. I hear a little occasional murkiness within the passagework but these things are very hard to get absolutely precise, and your control is generally excellent.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 04:15:08 PM
Thanks for the nice feedback!

Offline recnepspencer

Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:26:18 AM
Very well done! Not only is is a great accomplishment, but it's also quite beautiful. Please do post once you finish perfecting it!! Next you should learn the revolutionary etude for left hand 😉
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:28:49 PM
Very well done! Not only is is a great accomplishment, but it's also quite beautiful. Please do post once you finish perfecting it!! Next you should learn the revolutionary etude for left hand 😉

Thanks! Godowsky's arrangement of Op 10 No 12 has never been one of my favorites. If I learn more of them I'll likely do one of the following:
Op 25 No 1 (3rd version)
Op 10 No 5 (6th version)
Op 10 No 3

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 07:48:09 PM
I've looked at the lh only 10/3. Very challenging. I quite like the lh Butterfly as well.

I don't know why I didn't make this observation before - is your piano stool moved up somewhat to the right? I ask because when I've worked on lh only pieces I have been advised that it can be helpful to actually rotate the piano stool (and body position) a little, so that the left hand side is slightly further in than usual, but the right hand side slightly further out.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:05:40 PM
I don't know why I didn't make this observation before - is your piano stool moved up somewhat to the right? I ask because when I've worked on lh only pieces I have been advised that it can be helpful to actually rotate the piano stool (and body position) a little, so that the left hand side is slightly further in than usual, but the right hand side slightly further out.
For this piece I think I only shifted the bench to the right a few inches, I didn't feel the need to shift it further since a lot of the notes are in the lower half of the piano. When I played Blumenfeld's LH Etude I shifted the bench a full octave to the right since the work covered the entire keyboard. I haven't tried actually rotating the bench before, perhaps I'll try that next time I play it. Thanks for the suggestion! In a LH book I own, Lewenthal mentions in the preface to experiment with different positions for the bench when playing LH pieces.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert