Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Digital pianos  (Read 3675 times)

Offline ana86

Digital pianos
on: March 05, 2016, 07:03:53 PM
Hi,

I am a self-thought beginner, and am about to purchase my first piano. Even though I would much prefer an upright, it will have to be a digital one so I can practice without disturbing house members, neighbours etc. My budget is also limited to around £1000 max.

I read a lot of reviews online, narrowed my options and visited a showroom today. I tried a few models, and ended up more confused than I was before I went there. So any advice or opinion would be much appreciated.

The models I tried are:

- Yamaha YDP S52 (£ 749)
- Yamaha CLP-525 (£ 975)

- Roland F140R (£ 779)
- Roland RP401R (£ 925)

As an inexperienced player, I could feel that they are different in sound and touch, but couldn't tell which one is better than the other. What I could definitely feel is that none of them feels like an upright which was a bit disappointing. But I still can't tell which one is the closest in regards to touch and sound to a "real" piano  :P .

So which one of these (or any other in the price range) would you recommend and why?

Maybe I imagined this, but a few things I've noticed are:

- Yamaha YDP S52: keys feel a bit plasticky

- Yamaha CLP 525: did not respond once when I pressed a key very very lightly, but the sound is the best of all four. Playing feels better than YDP S52.

- The two Rolands were mostly different in their looks. Playing either one of them felt different than Yamahas, can't tell if better or worse, just different. And they make more "pressing" sound (not the sound of the note but of the mechanics inside) than Yamahas which I don't like. But something about them makes them feel more "natural".

So far I have only concluded that if I go for Yamaha, I'd take CLP 525, and if I go for Roland I'd take F140R as it is not much different than the more expensive RP401R.

Looking forward to more opinions and advice  ;D !!!

Thanks!
Ana

Offline marijn1999

Re: Digital pianos
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:16:10 PM
Unfortunately, I live in the Netherlands so I don't know about the prices the UK (?) very much. But anyway, besides an upright piano I also have a digital Kawai CA13 which I can really recommend. Look for it on the internet, it has a very natural touch and a very bright sound which really sounds like a acoustic piano. It cost me € 1799, but I wouldn't know what that is in pounds.

Anyway, hope that helps.

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline ana86

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:45:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Marijn!  :)

In fact, I visited two stores today, and had a chance to try Rolands, Yamahas and Kawai CA and CN series side by side. Even though I wasn't planning on spending more than £1000, Kawai (especially the CA models) just blew my mind, it is so much better than any Roland or Yamaha I have tried.

So I will buy CA 17, it costs a bit more (£1320) but worth it every penny :)! (CA13 doesn't seem to be produced anymore). I wish I could afford the £3000 CA 97, it was truly enjoyable to play, maybe in a few years :).

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 03:58:03 PM
Kawai ES8 was fabulous last time I tried it couple weekends ago.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 05:45:13 PM
IMO. The CLP series really feels like an old upright piano(which is quite good). As a yamaha user(my opinion may be biased), and with your current budget, you could go for a decent upright in that price range.

If you'd really like a digital, the recent CLP series is a good choice, the description of it's touch is a bit innacurrate, since the action of the CLP is heavier than the action of a good-conditioned upright or grand. (try to press the keys of the CLP, and then try to press the keys of a grand.). Though heavier action it may give, it is actually pretty good for serious practicing, though you have to find a way to play on acoustics to have an idea to adjust your touch.

Go for whatever that fits your liking. As they said, any piano is better than none. :)
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline pjjslp

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:19 PM
For what it's worth, I have a Yamaha CLP-545 and I love it. The touch is similar to my piano teacher's Kawaii studio upright back in the day, and the sound is great.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert