Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Tips on practicing again  (Read 1337 times)

Offline coolguy323

Tips on practicing again
on: March 11, 2016, 09:22:30 PM
Are there some tips someone can give me about getting back into practicing daily? I took lessons for about 12 years, but I haven't really practiced in the last two and have lost much of my technical ability. I'd really like to get back to my previous skill level. Will that take as long, or will my previous ability help me progress faster? Thanks
Rep:
Fur Elise - Beethoven
Minute Waltz - Chopin

Offline marijn1999

Re: Tips on practicing again
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 10:02:50 PM
Hi,

You will progress faster at least because you played the piano before, but your question is way to general. There is no way, at least for me, to fully answer it in less than a hundred full posts. Ask more specific question (what pieces, how to practice this particular thing, etc.)

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

Offline coolguy323

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 12:20:06 AM
Well, right now I'm learning Etude Op. 10 No. 3 by Chopin, and the close fingerwork just makes me stumble. I'm not used to using all the fingers on my right hand at the same time in such tight quarters. Any tips on that?
Rep:
Fur Elise - Beethoven
Minute Waltz - Chopin

Offline louispodesta

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 10:46:59 PM
Are there some tips someone can give me about getting back into practicing daily? I took lessons for about 12 years, but I haven't really practiced in the last two and have lost much of my technical ability. I'd really like to get back to my previous skill level. Will that take as long, or will my previous ability help me progress faster? Thanks
1)  If you will contact me by PM, I will be glad to help you, now and in the future (no fee, per norm).

2)  Specific to your second post, the standard method of practicing any section which has both a long note and accompanying notes underneath, this is the traditional method of attack:

Hold and accentuate, gently, the melody note at the top with a very relaxed hand.  And, then play the notes underneath in a soft immediate release staccato.  As a suggestion, practice this separately as an exercise by itself alone, with any group of two notes in any key until you get the feel for this.

Once again, hold the top (gently), and then, play soft staccato underneath.  And most importantly, do not press or push!

3)  Will this help you by itself in the long run?  No, it will not, so my initial offer still goes.  And, at the age of 64, I practice four hours a day!

Offline trollbuster

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 02:14:39 AM
1)  If you will contact me by PM, I will be glad to help you, now and in the future (no fee, per norm).

2)  Specific to your second post, the standard method of practicing any section which has both a long note and accompanying notes underneath, this is the traditional method of attack:

Hold and accentuate, gently, the melody note at the top with a very relaxed hand.  And, then play the notes underneath in a soft immediate release staccato.  As a suggestion, practice this separately as an exercise by itself alone, with any group of two notes in any key until you get the feel for this.

Once again, hold the top (gently), and then, play soft staccato underneath.  And most importantly, do not press or push!

3)  Will this help you by itself in the long run?  No, it will not, so my initial offer still goes.  And, at the age of 64, I practice four hours a day!

BS    you are an imposter   stop posting someone else's methodology and claiming it as your own   you cannot play.  If you could you would smear vids of your Brahams all over this forum just like your ridiculous posts.   

no more fee?  so you are not defrauding the forum any longer by pretending you have a clue what you are talking about

gee that's swell.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert