Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Chopstick's Op. 27 No. 2  (Read 2405 times)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Chopstick's Op. 27 No. 2
on: March 14, 2016, 05:14:11 PM
So um I kinda have a problem...
So i kinda doubted Joseffy's fingering because well it looked weird but I was like "well he was pretty famous so I guess I'll trust him"
that and every other suggestion in the piece works for me but yeah. since its a relatively easy passage I never paid any attention to my hands up until yesterday...I realized that my hand was doing some weird exorcist contortionist bs in order to accomadate joseffy's fingering. after sitting down carefully and working out different hand positions I realized that hands anatomy simply won't support it. I've got average sized palms (for a guy) so I can comfortable play 10ths and even an 11th if I try buuuut my fingers are short (damn you genetics!), especially my thumb. Can't really make a nice clean transition from e natural+f natural to the eflat and f flat. I can play it up to tempo but say I'll get a wrong note or two or stumble 3 out 5 times.

So I'm thinking about trying different fingerings for this particular section, came up with:
1:3:1:5 (for e nat, f nat, e nat, c flat) and then the transition to 2:1:2:5 ( eflat, f flat, eflat, c flat)

everything else I'm fine/comfortable with.
not really confident about my fingering soo, whats your opinion and I'm open to any other alternatives if you got one

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopstick's Op. 27 No. 2
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:17:02 AM
I use what is printed in your example.  Changing fingerings for a repetitive sequence can sometimes lead to confusion, so at times the more practical fingering is the one that feels less comfortable and assists in some form of mental/physical organizational pattern.

I realized that my hand was doing some weird exorcist contortionist bs in order to accomadate joseffy's fingering.

Try making your hand as small as possible when using the printed fingering.

So I'm thinking about trying different fingerings for this particular section, came up with:
1:3:1:5 (for e nat, f nat, e nat, c flat) and then the transition to 2:1:2:5 ( eflat, f flat, eflat, c flat)

If it works for you, then use it.  Personally, I would find this would be switching patterns too frequently for this type of passage work. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:09:49 AM
What do you mean by making my hands small? Like clenching as if I was making a fist?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:37:48 AM
Imagine you are adding a pinch of salt to your cooking with fingers 1,2,3.  Or handling a very small object you want to hold at your fingertips.  Not clenching like a fist, but fingers naturally curved and finger tips 1,2,3, very close together, almost brushing against each other, and 5 outstretched over the C flat.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert