Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Suggestions for new pieces?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline moodicrus

Suggestions for new pieces?
on: March 27, 2016, 11:04:59 AM
Hello, everyone, I'm looking for some new pieces to play, preferably no longer than 9ish minutes, here's a list of pieces that I can currently play, and ones that I'm working on are in brackets:

Liszt -
La Chapelle de Guillaume Tell
Au lac de wallenstadt
Sursum Corda
hungarian rhapsody no. 5
Liebestraum no.3
Nuages gris
La Campanella
(un sospiro)
(benediction de dieu dans la solitude)

Chopin -
Valse op.64 no.2
(ballade no.3)

Beethoven -
Moonlight sonata mvts. 1,2
(Moonlight sonata mvt.3)

Debussy -
(Clair de Lune)
(Dr gradus ad parnassum)
(arabesque no.2)

Bach -
(little fugue in g minor)

Rachmaninoff -
Prelude in C# minor
Prelude in G minor

Brahms -
Rhapsody no.2 in g minor

Albeniz -
Asturias (leyenda)

Joplin -
Maple Leaf Rag

My personal favourite/obsession is Liszt, I just find that his works come easier to me (e.g. la campanella). But i am by no means a great pianist and i think that piece was a lucky exception to my current degree of skill.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Re: Suggestions for new pieces?
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:32:41 PM
I'm in no position to advice you on what new pieces you should start with, however, I am curious on how long have you been playing the piano?

And I'm really curious about that La campanella and hungarian rhapsody no 5 you mentioned, can you post a recording or video? :D

And It seems that you have your hands full with the pieces you are currently learning, why look for another?
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline distantfieldrelative

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 07:44:49 PM
The Transcendental Etudes. Learn them.
Also the Sonata in b.
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:32:04 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline chomaninoff1

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:54 AM
There is suspiciously a lot of "must have" pieces absent here in what would usually be present in an advanced / professional pianists repertoire.

Where's 'trollbuster' when you need him / her.

Stop wasting people's time.

New account
1st post
Vast / Ridiculous claims
Obvious knowledge absent

La Campanella comes easy to ALL of us don't you know. GTFO

I sincerely don't mean to sound rude or anything, but what do you mean by "a lot of pieces are missing"? OP never said that these are all the pieces they have every played. OP specifically said that these are the pieces they currently play. Also, maybe I'm just not a very good pianist, but 13 (some decently hard pieces) in a repertoire seems great to me. I currently have like 5 pieces...  :( Also this person never claimed to be advanced. But I will say that calling La Campanella easy does sound fishy.

Offline chomaninoff1

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 03:33:35 AM
Anyways, to answer your question, OP...

You could try these:
Ravel:
Sonatine
Prelude

Chopin:
Nocturne Op. 48 No. 1
Nocturne Op. 15 No. 2
Fantasie Impromptu (overplayed, yet still very nice)
Waltz Op. 34 No. 1
Etude Op. 10 No. 3, 4, 12

Debussy:
Sarabande (from Pour le Piano)
Reverie (not very hard, but quite beautiful)
Nocturne in D flat
Arabesque 1

Brahms:
Intermezzo Op. 76 No. 7
Intermezzo Op.117 No.1
Other intermezzi from his later periods
Ballade Op. 10 No. 1&2

Liszt:
If you find La Campanella easy, maybe you could try Spanish Rhapsody. I don't know exactly how hard it is (although it looks very difficult), but it is exquisite.
Jeux Deux a La Villa d'Este

Offline moodicrus

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:39:23 PM
I'm in no position to advice you on what new pieces you should start with, however, I am curious on how long have you been playing the piano?

And I'm really curious about that La campanella and hungarian rhapsody no 5 you mentioned, can you post a recording or video? :D

And It seems that you have your hands full with the pieces you are currently learning, why look for another?

iiits a bit complicated :p So i started keyboard when i was 5, continued it till i was 7, began piano and played up until grade 3 then stopped. I started piano again in year 8 ( i think thats 12 years old) and have been playing ever since :).

I would love to take some time and record them and ill try to in the near future, but i havent got any proper recording devices, so the sound quality wont be great. Also Im currently spending soo much time revising for my AS exams if i do catch a break i normally just like to relax and not perform seriously, all that being said, i will try :').

You're probably absolutely right about not needing a new piece, but i tend to start a lot of pieces with soo much determination and I'm not sure if iv still got that for those pieces. I really can't learn pieces i have no motivation for (hence why i stopped at grade 3) XD

Offline moodicrus

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 02:47:07 PM
There is suspiciously a lot of "must have" pieces absent here in what would usually be present in an advanced / professional pianists repertoire.

Where's 'trollbuster' when you need him / her.

Stop wasting people's time.

New account
1st post
Vast / Ridiculous claims
Obvious knowledge absent

La Campanella comes easy to ALL of us don't you know. GTFO

Must have pieces? please explain, I didn't realise there's a set of pieces that pianists have to play these days  :P. To save yourself from looking stupid, i would kindly urge you to read what i wrote, I explicitly said 'im not a great pianist' ergo, i don't think it would be a good idea to even try these 'must have' professional/advanced pianist repertoire pieces, i doubt i could get through them.

YES this is a new account, so what?

YES this is my first post, normally, if i need a question answered, someone else normally has, but this one was more personal.

What ridiculous claims? XD

What knowledge is missing?

Please, if you're gonna troll, try and make the trolling more effective next time: details, details, details.

Offline moodicrus

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 02:51:09 PM
Also this person never claimed to be advanced. But I will say that calling La Campanella easy does sound fishy.

:'( :'( i didnt call La Campanella easy!! I said Liszt's works come easier to me and that La Campanella was an exception to my current skill level. I know it isn't easy because i still fatigue when i play it if im not careful, but it wasn't as bad for me to learn as many others, namely my teacher, who is 10x better than me.

Offline moodicrus

Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 02:56:08 PM
Anyways, to answer your question, OP...

You could try these:
Ravel:
Sonatine
Prelude

Chopin:
Nocturne Op. 48 No. 1
Nocturne Op. 15 No. 2
Fantasie Impromptu (overplayed, yet still very nice)
Waltz Op. 34 No. 1
Etude Op. 10 No. 3, 4, 12

Debussy:
Sarabande (from Pour le Piano)
Reverie (not very hard, but quite beautiful)
Nocturne in D flat
Arabesque 1

Brahms:
Intermezzo Op. 76 No. 7
Intermezzo Op.117 No.1
Other intermezzi from his later periods
Ballade Op. 10 No. 1&2

Liszt:
If you find La Campanella easy, maybe you could try Spanish Rhapsody. I don't know exactly how hard it is (although it looks very difficult), but it is exquisite.
Jeux Deux a La Villa d'Este

Thank you for actally answering my request!! XD  ;D Im defintely considering les jeux d'eaux à la villa d'este because its stunning. For some reason I don't really click with impressionism, im really hoping i will in the future, but for now my impressionist playing is not where  would like it to be, i only learned the debussy pieces for finger excercises

Thanks once again!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 02:57:34 PM

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 03:16:00 PM

Offline moodicrus

Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 03:27:33 PM
Well I may as well entertain your rubbish.

Who HONESTLY suggests that La Campenella was an easy piece for them?

Who HONESTLY claims to be learning some of the hardest pieces such as Un Sospiro and Chopin Ballads and claims not only that they are not a good pianist, but also have the time to be able to practice OTHER pieces as well.

Finally who, who could even perform such level of pieces and would still need advice for other pieces on that level. If you can even play the pieces anything at all like they are supposed to be played, surely you have had some sort of musical education or done some research, who learns Chopin's 3rd ballad without having considered the first?

Who loves Liszt and can play at that level and not have Rhapsody no.2 in their repetoire?

Who learns pieces at such a virtuoso level and then still concerns them selves with pieces such as the 1st movement of the moonlight sonata.

Nothing you are saying makes logical sense. Post some auditions and if you can even hit the right notes at speed on any of these pieces (I wont even listen for musicality) you will receive my most humble apologies.

I wont hold my breath

Wow you were being serious :o ok then.

1) At no point did i say La Campanella was easy, so i might as well copy and paste what i said in a previous reply.  I said Liszt's works come easier to me and that La Campanella was an exception to my current skill level. I know it isn't easy because i still fatigue when i play it if im not careful, but it wasn't as bad for me to learn as many others, namely my teacher, who is 10x better than me. My peers and sometimes my teacher can comment on how difficult some of the liszt pieces are but liszt comes easier to me that people like Beethoven or ravel. Easier doesn't mean easy, cmon, keep up.

2) If you think Un Sospiro is one of the hardest pieces you really need some education XD once it feels right under your hands and you get a nice flow its quite easy, if you want, I can give you tips if your struggling.

3)Before i started year 12 in September i had so much time on my hands! I was young and carefree and didnt have any exams, and i practiced a lot. Im also told that i have a knack to remembering pieces and its true that i don't really ever forget how to play something once i have a few times, but thats just lucky genes from my dad.

4) I tend to focus on Liszt and romantic pieces too much and end up learning a lot of pieces of that style, its not a bad thing, but theres no harm in getting a second opinion, there are pieces i am considering already, but i wanted to see if anyone could surprise me with a hidden gem of such.  

5) Interestingly i started to play the rhapsody when i was younger, but decided to put it away for a few years as neither i or my teacher felt I was able to do its playful nature justice at that time. But i will definitely do it in the future. Just because i dont have that piece, doesn't mean I dont love Liszt tht much, believe me, i do! XD But you make yourself sound silly when you say such things, just a tip.

6) I think this is the lynchpin for the failure of your argument. I didn't realise i needed to explain to someone that the piano is a MUSICAL instrument, not purely a MECHANICAL one. I play the moonlight sonata because I like it, simple as. I don't have to play hard pieces all the time just because i can, I don't pick pieces based on difficulty, but whether i like them. If you really want some of my life story then ill tell ya XD The moonlight sonata 1st mvt is one of the first pieces ive played and ive definitely grown with the piece, even to this day, im making alterations to my interpretations of the piece. Its a great piece for the right occasion. You don't see people being angry with concert pianists for playing Liszt's Consolation No.3 which is relatively easy (oh no another famous Liszt piece i dont play! smite me!), do you?

8) Unfortunately, your comments don't make you come across as much of a musician at all so, and i hope ive helped you understand the error of your ways :')

7) I am very busy atm with exams and such but i will get a recording of a piece you want, (if only i could see your face when i do XD)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 04:04:56 PM

Offline chomaninoff1

Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 09:16:51 PM
@moodicrus glad I could help :) Sorry, I misunderstood what you said about La Campanella. Good luck learning your new pieces!

@addod What I am confused with is you saying that OP has never played Rhapsody No. 2. (I assume the Brahms one?) OP has NEVER said that they never played this piece. They only listed the pieces that they CURRENTLY play. I'm sure if we all posted lists of pieces that we have played EVER it would be huge....but OP has made a list of pieces he/she can play on the fly right now. As I stated before, I actually think having 13 pieces in a current repertoire is impressive. I have multiple pieces I can play right now, but if you asked me to play a Bach Invention that I played years ago and I couldn't play it on the fly, would you say that I never played it? Just because it's not apart of a current repertoire does not mean that the person never studied it.

Offline moodicrus

Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 11:49:52 AM
When you do so, I'll happily post a live reaction of me picking up my jaw from the floor when you prove me wrong.
Happy?

Offline spenstar

Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 03:49:05 AM
If you like romantic pieces, I'd definitely look into more Chopin. Especially his etudes and nocturnes.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert