Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Piano sonata no2 Chopin, scherzo  (Read 2993 times)

Offline recnepspencer

Piano sonata no2 Chopin, scherzo
on: March 29, 2016, 03:37:22 AM
It isn't perfect, but here it is. It was at a recital so I was a little nervous
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano sonata no2 Chopin, scherzo
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:42:17 AM
"little nervous" ????????

dude you are struggling with the piece

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:27:07 AM
Mate... as someone who was as unpolished as you are... don't let yourself get tied into trying to play the great works of art and failing...

drop yourself back, and find smaller pieces and perfect them. THAT... is music.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:11:56 AM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline danielo

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:55:22 AM
Full credit though for posting it. Many people don't have the balls to post anything less than a near-perfect rendition of a particular piece. That's what this site is for, surely, for honest reflection and advice, to help us all improve.
Well done for getting through it. Good point by added about what 'learned' means......I found this out myself last week when I performed two supposedly 'simple' Beethoven Bagatelles at a recital. I had a complete brain freeze in the second part of the beautiful one in Eb major, shortly after the extended trill, and just couldn't find my way back. I just froze, and wasn't able even to get to the end.
The pressure of performance can make even relatively simple pieces very difficult, so full credit to you for going out there and trying something that ambitious.
Learning:

Rachmaninov Preludes Op10 1, 4 and 5
Chopin Ballade in G Minor
Chopin Etude Op10 No 2
Schubert Impromptu No 3

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:45:00 AM
+2 TO THE ABOVE

now. few things here. kudos for getting up there and i believe this could serve as an important performance to you if you handle the feedback and criticism well. i will explain.
perform enough and you have found like i did and many of us have actually, that there are a few that serve as foundational and formative experiences in getting you to the next level. yes nailing something helps w confidence however we need to fail a few times,as in completely crash and burn , then being avbe to handle the baubles and work through them since you are peorming. it shows you that there is life after stumbling. the audience did not turn into a carnivorous zombie horde and eat you. the piano doesnt transform into a pokemon and swallow you whole.  theres an end and you survive. it is however a  wholey unpleasant and awful experience, it should push you to "over prepare" and have more prudence in your pieces selections in the future for performance and also to more accurately understanf your deadlines to learn pieces to performance standard

i suggest you watch the performance in several months. you will find the chance to see all the details you missed and give you a better idea if how unprepared you were.

i posted similar to adod in a thread in repertoire section about people that claim to have learned a piece but not up to tempo. that means its not learned yet. tempo indications are part of the score and give the piece its character. if it isnt accurate with good balance phrasing articulation tone and  appropriate tempo, its not ready.

as for selecting pieces, completely agreed that it is better to select small more accessible works and really present a refined polished and expressive rendition in recital.  recital is not the place to experiment and test your limits.

dont be discouraged, i appplaud you as you reached an important milestone but your response to it is critical in choosing how you will build on it. yes you need to fail a few times but you also need lots of "totally nailed it!" ones too. performance us about confidence and connecting w audiences and is actually a reward for the hard work you put in. you get to say , hey everyone thanks for your time attention and support.  this is super cool, watch this! :)

see here for example , one doesnt only need to play hard flashy stuff on stage, actually its  a sign of growth and maturity to find and extract unbelievable beauty from the seemingly simple and no fuss music many ignore.  i mean how often does someone play a simple baroque piece as an encore vs some fireworks flash and das etude
 those are cool, but i and many are also much more impressed and moved when something like this is done

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:24:58 PM
I do envy you...to have such confidence in one's abilities and to be able to ignore any evidence against it. Why do we amateurs bother with such a critical view on our own playing? Who cares really?

Of course then one occasionally hears someone who actually can and the struggle for making real music seems worthwhile anyway.

If you want to really learn such pieces you will need a new teacher (assuming she was aware of that recital) and some hard lessons on walking before you can run...

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 05:57:34 PM

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 06:09:16 PM
Check his other videos, theyre not bad. Considering its a live performance i think this one is a pretty good effort...

Needs more polishing though! Listen to these guys, they're pretty wise. :)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 06:14:53 PM
It isn't perfect,

I noticed. It is also several months old. Perhaps post a newer one?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 06:35:11 PM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 06:48:41 PM
To assume a bad teacher must have been female tut tut ;)

I'll let you get away with that...this time ;)

I have read his earlier posts. Tough love is what is needed and he's not getting it. I am not saying the teacher is bad, but definitely not what HE needs at this point.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 08:08:34 PM

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 08:10:20 PM
Perhaps the OP would fare a bit better with the next movement of this sonata...
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline recnepspencer

Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 12:58:58 AM
I played it in a competiton too, but it was only in front of a judge, so I was less nervous lol. But here is some proof that I played it better
Recently learned:
Beethoven- sonata 32, op111, I
Chopin- sonata 2, scherzo
Liszt-Etude 4, S.136
Rachmaninoff-Prelude C Sharp Minor
Learning:
Liszt-Transcendeal Etude 2
Chopin-Etude op25 no 11

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 08:14:35 AM

Offline thirtythreepi

Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 06:14:24 PM
How on earth did you get a tick on tempo? In the video you posted you're playing at sub-half speed, listen to any recording by a decent pianist of this particular movement, and compare it to your own. Have you ever listened to a recording of a piece that you've played? Because although it's not advisable to copy other recordings, they are useful as a guideline for what the piece is supposed to sound like. To be perfectly honest this sort of playing sounds like sight-reading, imo you should try much easier pieces than going straight to flashy difficult works like this Chopin sonata.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 10:58:54 AM
The responses here are a good sampling of what one may expect from learned musicians.  Some are harsh, but there are many that share a similar stance.  You don't have to agree, but it is good to listen.  

If you allow yourself to fail and be vulnerable, and thereafter learn from the experience, IMO you will grow and may eventually surpass those to whom piano seems such a natural skill and are completely contented with their abilities.  I think it is very courageous of you to share your video.  Sometimes you need to take that jump to get to the next level, other times you need to take a step back and go back to fundamentals.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline bzzzzzt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 07:45:57 PM
An Italian friend of mine told me a proverb something along the lines of: you can feel like you know everything and learn nothing, or feel like you know nothing and learn everything.  (I'm sure he said it better than that, but you get the gist)
Beethoven 2/3
Chopin 10/9
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert