Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: What to teach after fiber piano adventures  (Read 3837 times)

Offline jvckgrey

What to teach after fiber piano adventures
on: March 31, 2016, 07:32:01 PM
I am currently teaching one student and he has just completed the faber piano adventure series. I gave him a clementi sonatina and he learned it in about 2 weeks. What are the next steps in teaching and helping him go further into piano learning.

Offline jstudio

Re: What to teach after fiber piano adventures
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:14:36 PM
I generally have my students purchase books that contain a variety of classical pieces for intermediate students. Here are some ideas if they are helpful:

*Piano Literature books 1-4 by Faber
*Succeding with the Masters The Festival Collection books Preparatory - Level 8
*Succeeding with the Masters Baroque, Classical, and Romantic - there are 2 books to each era *Masterworks Classics Levels 1-10
*Encore! books 1-3 just to name a few options that are still graded pedagogical repertoire

I will usually put my students in one of these and another book in a genre of their choice (books by Timothy Brown or other pedagogues, jazz and blues, pop music, or we'll work on improvising with lead sheets). I also put them in a Keith Snell Fundamentals of Piano Theory book according to their level and a scale book or etude book to continue advancing their technique according to their needs.

Hope this helps! Happy Teaching!   :)

Offline henselt1

Re: What to teach after fiber piano adventures
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:27:02 PM

Perhaps move away from using method books now and begin learning some easy classical, Jazz/rag time or some popular music. This way your student can learn about different piano styles and find what they like musically  :)    There is so much easy piano music available to choose from !   

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert