Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: If Kissin missed one week of practice  (Read 3237 times)

Offline immortalbeloved

If Kissin missed one week of practice
on: April 04, 2016, 05:15:50 AM
 . . . what would happen?

My teacher said if he even missed five he would suffer. Now, of course, Kissin has to fly to get so some countries, so surely he has missed a few days, but I am interested in the question.

This topic emerged after Easter break and I noted how rusty I felt not having practiced much. And so my teacher and I began discussing this topic and she mentioned to me how the professional concert pianist cannot even afford to miss less than a few days.

I wonder what happens to Kissin when he does miss a few days.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Re: If Kissin missed one week of practice
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:52:35 AM
Why Evgeny specifically?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline stevensk

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:05:50 AM
"If Kissin missed one week of practice"

-He would still be better than me. -Slightly better

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:22:37 AM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:52:43 PM
https://www.violinman.com/Violin_Family/performer/Violinist/kreisler/fritz_kreisler.htm

"I have worked a great deal in my life, but have always found that too

large an amount of purely technico-musical work fatigued me and reacted

unfavorably on my imagination. As a rule I only practice enough to keep

my fingers in trim; the nervous strain is such that doing more is out of

the question. And for a concert-violinist when on tour, playing every

day, the technical question is not absorbing. Far more important is it

for him to keep himself mentally and physically fresh and in the right

mood for his work. For myself I have to enjoy whatever I play or I

cannot play it. And it has often done me more good to dip my finger-tips

in hot water for a few seconds before stepping out on the platform than

to spend a couple of hours practicing. .
Tim

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 03:55:54 PM
Or Heifetz:

He laughed when I put forward the theory that he worked many hours a day, perhaps as many as six or eight? "No," he said, "I do not think I could ever have made any progress if I had practiced six hours a day. In the first place I have never believed in practicing too much--it is just as bad as practicing too little! And then there are so many other things I like to do. I am fond of reading and I like sport: tennis, golf, bicycle riding, boating, swimming, etc. Often when I am supposed to be practicing hard I am out with my camera, taking pictures; for I have become what is known as a 'camera fiend.' And just now I have a new car, which I have learned to drive, and which takes up a good deal of my time. I have never believed in grinding. In fact I think that if one has to work very hard to get his piece, it will show in the execution. To interpret music properly, it is necessary to eliminate mechanical difficulty; the audience should not feel the struggle of the artist with what are considered hard passages. I hardly ever practice more than three hours a day on an average, and besides, I keep my Sunday when I do not play at all, and sometimes I make an extra holiday. As to six or seven hours a day, I would not have been able to stand it at all."

I'm trying to find the quote from the violinist who takes every summer off, and then starts from scratch at fundamentals.  I thought it was Heifetz or Stern but haven't found it.
Tim

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 04:18:18 PM
If he missed a week he would still be too good for me to give a *** about the difference of one week off of practice lol
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 06:22:18 PM
Who cares if Kissin missed a week a whole month or even a whole year he'll still kick your behind go practice and worry about yourself.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline immortalbeloved

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 07:33:08 PM
LOL---I KNOW!

I am just curious about the human body and greatness (of others!).

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 01:14:44 AM
Wasn't it Rubinstein who said that if he missed a day, he noticed; if he missed two days, his family noticed -- and if he missed three the whole world knew?

On the other hand, I sometimes find that not practicing a piece I've been having trouble with for a few days results in great improvement when I do come back to it, so... who knows?
Ian

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 01:24:41 AM
Wasn't it Rubinstein who said that if he missed a day, he noticed; if he missed two days, his family noticed -- and if he missed three the whole world knew?

This is a common mindset for super-efficient and self-critical people! I very much doubt it is the truth, just Rubinstein (despite his greatness) being a little bit insecure. I really doubt that any harm can come from not a practicing an entire week or a summer vacation lol. Us pianists are so neurotic  ::)

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 02:04:33 PM
This is a common mindset for super-efficient and self-critical people! I very much doubt it is the truth, just Rubinstein (despite his greatness) being a little bit insecure. I really doubt that any harm can come from not a practicing an entire week or a summer vacation lol. Us pianists are so neurotic  ::)

It was not Rubinstein who said it. I don't remember who it was, but it wasn't him at least.

I have often been forced to take breaks in my piano playing, due to my work and other activities, as I am an amateur player. Then I usually need a day or two to get back on track, but I also usually find that many things have matured quite a lot during the absent time. I got a muscle inflammation some years ago, due to over-enthusiastic practicing. (I was a rebounder who just had picked up piano playing again after decades of piano hibernation.) I tried every trick under the sun, including "one week of resting". Nothing helped, the pain just increased. I was really desperate for a while.

Then summer came. It was a hot summer. For over a month I did not practice at all, because it was too hot to do so. Well, it was nearly two months. When I picked up piano playing again in late August, I feared that I had to start all over again. Oh no. I was fiddling a bit for some days, then I found that I played better than before, and the pain was gone.

Conclusion: even a piano player needs a vacation sometimes.  There are many romantic myths around pianists, and the "you need to practice for 10 hours every day from the age of 3" is certainly one of the worst. No, you are a normal human being and you need to live a normal life. Even God rested on the 7th day, right?

Offline reiyza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 01:51:24 PM

I think it's different for each of us. I got sick earlier this april. It was about a week of almost no touching the piano. Then I felt better, I could't even play any piece decently.

Oh but I just remembered, I'm a beginner. Not a touring professional. :)
Yup.. still a beginner. Up til now..

When will a teacher accept me? :/

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 04:11:44 PM
A friend of mine is a great harpsichordist.
Last year, she decided to stop along 6 months and go to a third world country, in a help mission.
When she returned she played one preludium and fugue of Bach without any loss of technique.
So, I dont believe that 5 days can make such loss...

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 11:33:32 PM
One thing for sure if Kissin missed one week of practice,

Is that he should definitely take opportunity during one of those days to get a haircut.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 03:03:25 PM
I think if Kissin missed one week of practice, when he resumed he would still be Kissin.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 03:27:43 PM

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 08:17:52 PM
I would mind missing a week of Kissin.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline kuska

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 06:07:18 AM
If Kissin missed one week of practice he should try hitting once again.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 02:24:38 AM
He'd probably play with more emotions and less machine like?
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 03:30:45 PM
If kissin missed a week of practice he should take an opportunity to dry clean that white tux he has.

Um , it is getting a little , let say, off-white , these days.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline landorrano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 08:02:25 PM
Even God rested on the 7th day, right?

Yes, but He had a great pension plan.

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 05:36:27 PM
God went to the beach that day. He laid out. Got a tan or burnt a bit. Drank a mojito.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert