Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 16 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by sixteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Faure Nocturne No. 7 Op. 74 - a few questions  (Read 1927 times)

Offline crusader13

• PS Silver Member
Faure Nocturne No. 7 Op. 74 - a few questions
on: April 06, 2016, 07:00:09 PM
Okay so like for mm. 24 -27, I'm not sure how to interpret the fingering. Like he [Faure] expects you to hold the D# and play those chord triplets while hitting the high C#, B, etc. and I...well in the words of Liszt, I ran out of hands xD

Can someone give me some pointers on how to intepret it? Thanks ^^

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: Faure Nocturne No. 7 Op. 74 - a few questions
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:16:16 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline crusader13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:00:59 PM
I'm late, but thanks. That helped :D I just use the middle pedal for that section now, but one thing I still don't understand is the 8s under certain notes in this section. I don't know if he means to go up one octave or if its just there for aesthetics ://

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:51 PM
I'm late, but thanks. That helped :D I just use the middle pedal for that section now, but one thing I still don't understand is the 8s under certain notes in this section. I don't know if he means to go up one octave or if its just there for aesthetics ://
when in doubt look at the context, the texture and what happens before and after. they are not writing it out for notes below f#, but when we see f# it is octave, one below and the note as written.   retrograde application of this would have me do octaves everywhere i see that eight. it's the only way it makes sense, and would be quite odd for it to mean anything else.

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:49:52 AM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline crusader13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:30:55 AM
Good advice, failing that you could always just listen to a couple performances, I am sure with reasonable ear you can clear up that confusion.
I've listened to Faure's piano roll of it several times and it took me awhile to figure out what visitor meant by what he said and I had to like reevaluate it several times lol but I got it :3
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert