Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Anyone with experience with the Beethoven Liszt symphonies?  (Read 3352 times)

Offline diomedes

Anyone played Liszt-Beethoven symphonies? I read through a bit of 1, they appear to be a bit thick and need agility.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone with experience with the Beethoven Liszt symphonies?
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:15:15 PM
A few years back i spent a week or so on the 6th, but it was way beyond my powers as i expect the 8 others were.

They really are for pianists of the highest order.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 07:27:04 PM
A few years back i spent a week or so on the 6th, but it was way beyond my powers as i expect the 8 others were.

They really are for pianists of the highest order.
They are indeed (and no disrespect intended towards you in so saying); the trouble is that so very few such pianists even bother to give them the time of day or night...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline chrisbutch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 07:29:41 PM
It's worth looking at some of the other transcriptions. The Pauer duet versions are generally sniffed at and not thought to be worthy of performance, but they're great fun to play and rather less demanding than the Liszt. And a few years ago I did hear a performance of the Pauer Ninth by Leon McCawley and Ashley Wass at the Two Moors Festival which was a revelation. They've also recorded Liszt's two-piano version of the ninth.

Offline isuckatthepiano

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 09:34:45 AM
I have only tried the first page of the first movement of Beethoven's 5th and have looked through  random parts of it. I think the first movement is doable - I might be wrong of course - but it just seems like tons of octaves with either a sixth or a third inside. (C-E-C' , C-A-C').

Offline diomedes

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 05:18:58 PM
I wonder how much the difficulty of them is derived from katsaris making his recording of them. After hearing him play like that it's easy to lose sleep. As a result we might over estimate them. That's my theory, but I think there's only one way to find out. I'd like to give it a shot, they're such incredible music.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline musikalischer_wirbelwind_280

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 06:18:35 PM
Hey, diomedes,

I'm glad to hear you're willing to give them a shot, they're definitely among the very best transcriptions ever made, in my oh so humble opinion. ;) And don't let any Katsaris recording of them get you down! I don't have terribly large hands myself, so I occasionally stumble upon tricky bits like in the second movement of the 6th, and of course wide intervals are far from being the only difficulty present in them, and yes, most of it requires a formidable technique, but they are doable.

Why not start with some of the lightest movements, like the second one from the 1st? Or even the third one from the 5th? True, that one has some tough parts in the left hand when the double basses enter in those quick passages and all that, but the first section of it is pretty easy, actually. Hell, even the first section of the Andante of the 7th could be a good starting point, and it's such fun! And once your technique is more robust, why not try out the first movement of the 'Pastoral'? It's tough, but I think it might actually be the easiest first movement out of all nine symphonies, with the possible exception of the very first one.

I've never had a go at the Pauer transcriptions, but I've had a look-see at some of them and, like christbutch said, they do seem to be easier than the Liszt ones, so perhaps it could also be a good idea to start with those, and then proceed to the Liszt ones.

Very best,
M.W.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:40:37 PM
I wonder how much the difficulty of them is derived from katsaris making his recording of them. After hearing him play like that it's easy to lose sleep. As a result we might over estimate them. That's my theory, but I think there's only one way to find out. I'd like to give it a shot, they're such incredible music.

Yes, those are wonderful recordings.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 01:48:42 AM
The only experience I've had with them are that my mother used to play them, and my great aunt, and they are wonderful to listen to.  They really capture -- to the extent any transcription can -- the feel of the symphonies themselves.

That said -- they are way beyond my ability!
Ian

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
I don't rate the Liszt transcriptions of the symphonies very highly. I find them unnecessarily complicated and not very effective. I play occasionally for conducting classes and I find the Pauer (solo) and Singer transcriptions make a very satisfying rendition and are much more practical. I would be very happy to put the work in on the Liszt versions if I felt the end justified the means, but I don't.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert