Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Ready to pass from Invention to Sinfonia?  (Read 2819 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Ready to pass from Invention to Sinfonia?
on: April 22, 2016, 01:52:49 PM
My goal since seven or six years ago has been to play all the 13 Bach Inventions, but many things have passed, and I have to share my time and energy to other pieces as time passed by, I learnt and played other pieces, improve my technique in rhythm, dynamics, intensity and also had to get prepared for other music exams.

Part of the admission exams is to play a Bach Sinfonia, is like an Invention but with 3 voices.

From the time I put my goal till now, I have learnt and played the Inventions 1,4,7,8,10,13, and my current piano teacher told me one day that she hopes I can learn and play a Sinfonia.

Do you think that it can be possible with the level I have right now?, or I should wait till I get either Invention 15 or 2?

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ready to pass from Invention to Sinfonia?
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 02:11:34 PM
Dude its just a piece of music, dont be so scared of it lol. You are more than qualified to play a sinfonia.

Tbh just a word of advice, its good to be aware of your abilties and working on pieces you know you can handle. However dont go so into it that it turns into fear, imo you wont get far if youre afraid of experimenting and messing around with difficult music. The best way to asses your ability to learn a piece is by trying it out.

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 03:20:01 AM
Hi faa2010,

Yes, well while it might be possible, considering that sinfonias (3 part inventions) are Grade 9 RCM where most of the inventions are Grade 8 RCM, it is NOT like going from grade 1 to grade 2.

I can only imagine that the success of playing a sinfonia would be largely dependent on the method of preparation and analysis used.

Therefore, I don't see how learning the other 2 inventions are going to make that much of a difference. In my opinion, neither invention 15 nor invention 2 are going to magically transform your ability to play a sinfonia.

There are surely different approaches to learning a sinfonia but what they are I don't know. However, I am convinced that the right teacher makes all the difference.

I hope that helps, Joe.

Offline feddera

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 09:11:00 AM
I've played most of the inventions, and are currently working on two sinfonias, no.11 and no.15.

Sinfonia no.11 in G minor is really not any harder than the inventions technically. Invention 8 and 13 in particular requires more in terms of pure finger dexterity, though it will depend on the tempo in which you play them of course. The third voice adds a different kind of challenge, in that one hand sometimes has to keep track of two voices at the same time. This can get awkward when one voice is legato and the other is staccato. This sinfonia is also longer than all of the inventions I think.

Sinfonia no.15 in B minor is kind of the opposite. It is harder in terms of speed and dexterity, but the third voice is used more sparingly. It feels much more like playing a two part-invention.

I would agree with the poster above in that playing another two inventions will not really help prepare you for the sinfonias. Just try one you like!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert