Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Scarlatti - Sonata K.9 in D minor  (Read 1444 times)

Offline lisztarian

• PS Silver Member
Scarlatti - Sonata K.9 in D minor
on: April 30, 2016, 12:04:48 PM
It's been a long while since my last post. This was recorded live during a piano recital I held on March 2nd of this year. I have used several cameras and microphones to get the best sound possible but unfortunately in Kuwait there is a lack in quality recordings for piano. I'd be happy if you could like the video. If you didn't, please comment :) !

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scarlatti - Sonata K.9 in D minor
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 03:28:42 AM
hi Faisal,

This must be "near-miking" recording (mics very close or at the piano lid) often employed when recitals are done in a small hall or a big room.  Here you can hear even the pedal sounds (noise). What I normally do is to place another mic at the farthest corner of the room or hall at the back to the left of the pianist with the mic facing the wall. When mixed this will cause a small reverb or delay giving the impression of a larger hall and overall, for me, a better effect.  Or if one would like to preserve the small hall or large room effect, you could place the mics at least a meter or two away from the wide open lids.  Just my own experience.

Personally I find your performance good and enjoyable .... but I would not really know much of the "technicalities" of the piece since I am not a pianist, but only a dad to one.  Hope someone pitches in soon.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert