Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Simple Question  (Read 1702 times)

Offline alistaircrane4

Simple Question
on: May 25, 2016, 06:34:44 AM
As a pianist what is it that you find most challenging about a performance of a piece,
1. The individual technique required for the piece
2. The refinement of the piece such as the pedaling and dynamic
3. The interpretation
 As a pianist and I composer I try to be as faithful to the score as possible so interpretation is not something I much work on. I just follow the composers instruction. I would say pedaling is hardest for me honestly. How about you others?

Offline josh93248

Re: Simple Question
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:10 AM
In my experience they can all be easy or hard, it depends on the piece, I couldn't even say if there was one area that was more often difficult either.

I suppose the biggest problem with your question (Though it is a fair question to be sure) is that I find that all these things are inextricably linked. Generally I am working with all 3 of these things in mind to some extent, even though my focus shifts as work continues. Even in performance I am thinking of all these 3 elements all the time.

I must admit though that I take the opposite view to you in regards to interpretation. I believe performances should be creative and be full of ideas. It is a very weird and backward notion that classical music has about "faithfulness" to composers. Composers were often not even faithful to themselves given the chance! Messing with other peoples ideas has always been a part of music and is part of keeping musical society healthy. Furthermore, many great recordings and performers follow the score, what is the point of being an artist but only recreating what has already been done when all these things already exist? Variety is better. Creativity is better.
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline blackpianistjp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:12:54 AM
Refinement

Offline piulento

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:16:57 PM
Definitely refinement. It takes a lot more focus and thought to really make the piece 100% than to just "get it" technically (which is mostly practice) or deciding on an intepretation (which mostly comes on its own). One of the worst things about my playing is that I sometimes quit when a piece is just 90% because it's hard for me to deal with the refinement part.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:41:14 PM
Refinement for me too, especially when it comes to phrasing and dynamics.

Offline distantfieldrelative

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 03:24:12 AM
The pedal will someday be the death of me.
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline pjjslp

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 12:17:02 PM
Refinement for sure! Sometimes I can hear in my head exactly how I want something to sound but figuring out how to achieve that sound is the real challenge.

Offline alistaircrane4

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 06:53:59 PM
I'm very grateful for all the responses and I am personally relieved to find that many others have the same difficulties as myself. I've recently been spending a lot of time away from my piano and playing in general simply to improve my compositional ability. I think when I return, I will play better knowing my issues are shared.

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 07:17:37 PM
Technic, interpretation and refinement are all linked each other, I think.
One must have an idea about what the composer wished to "say" when he/she composed that musical piece. But also about we feel. Without our own feeling, we risk to be very "mechanical" or "artificial". In the other hand, sometimes most of the indications about tempi and dynamics does not come from the composer but the editors. For example, in the Chopin etude "tristesse", the tempo wanted by Chopin is a little faster than the tempi indicated in many editions...
And the tempo choosed by many performers, when performing the Etude nr 1, is faster than the tempo wished by Chopin...
When each one of us plays one musical piece each one of us is "making" Art. That`s why the same piece is so different played by different performs. For example, you may wish to compare Valentina Igoshina playing the "Raindrop" with Marta Argerich... the same music but so different...
Best wishes
Rui

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 02:38:35 AM
Personally I think the choice of repertoire to perform is the most difficult task.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert