Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: [Video] Chopin - Ballade No. 1 in G minor / g moll, Op. 23  (Read 1368 times)

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
I was fixing some issues with my piano today and decided to try and record this piece while it was open... :D Still work to do and i am open to suggestions for improvement :)

Offline abbyes

Very well played, such a difficult piece ! How long have you been practicing it ?

Personally, I think that the section in 4:40 is played with too much rubato...and from 7:30 onwards it seems like you''ll lose the train ( too fast )u.u And the end, from 8:32 to the end, it was...very strange, why did you do that sudden stacatto ? kinda cuts out the essence, the soul of that final section, which is the most tragic, and the stacatto seems to ruin it ( in my opinion, it's your interpretation :) )

Anyways I enjoyed it a lot :) Your technice is amazing. And what a fingers !!

Offline preludetr

I am playing this piece so I think I can offer some advice. I thought the strongest parts were the first three minutes or so, and the section from roughly 6:00 to 7:30. The other parts could still use some work.

B section starting around 3:00, I think you are using too much rubato.

There are several points where you seem to be sacrificing clarity for speed. The most glaring example is around 5:50. Some of those notes are inaudible because instead of articulating them all, you're playing the run in a blur.

Slow down the coda. You can't handle it at that speed (at least for now, maybe you will be able in the future with lots of practice), and it doesn't need to be super fast to sound good.

Ending chords shouldn't be so abrupt. There is supposed to be a rest between them.

Offline lafo

• PS Silver Member
Very well played, such a difficult piece ! How long have you been practicing it ?

Personally, I think that the section in 4:40 is played with too much rubato...and from 7:30 onwards it
Anyways I enjoyed it a lot :) Your technice is amazing. And what a fingers !!

Thank you very much for your comment :) Indeed i lost the control at those parts.. hopefully next time it will be better :) I play it for around 30-35 days now..

I am playing this piece so I think I can offer some advice. I thought the strongest parts were the first three minutes or so, and the section from roughly 6:00 to 7:30. The other parts could still use some work.

B section starting around 3:00, I think you are using too much rubato.

Thanks for the advices :) i will try and improve those places. Do you have a recording of yourself playing it? I am very interested to hear it :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert