Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Clementi Sonata, No. 3, Op. 7  (Read 1694 times)

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Clementi Sonata, No. 3, Op. 7
on: May 31, 2016, 02:58:53 AM
Could I get some feedback?

&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!
Clementi, Piano Sonata in G Minor, No. 3, op. 10
W. A. Mozart, Sonata for Piano Four-Hands in F Major, K. 497
Beethoven, Piano Concerto, No. 2, op. 19

Offline josh93248

Re: Clementi Sonata, No. 3, Op. 7
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:12:09 AM
Really not bad, I'm afraid I don't know this piece very well but I'll comment as best I can.

Quite musical and attractive playing overall though there are a few moments where you hesitate which break the mood a bit.

I personally don't mind classical period repertoire played strongly but arguably this piece could be played with some more lightness and playfulness in places though possibly this is the  nature of the recording as well, it's a bit loud and poor quality but I realise you may not have the resources or know how to do much better.

Despite it's flaws I'm intrigued by your playing and would like to know more. How long have you been playing? What has been the nature of your instruction up until now?
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:42:47 PM
Thanks for the helpful tips! I'm going to work on it in the next few days and brush up on some areas technically as well as implement some more in depth interpretive aspects, like those you suggested. I actually would like to make it lighter, more Mozartian I suppose. I originally approached it with a more Beethoven style, passionate and heavy, but it seems to have shifted in me within the past few weeks.

I've been studying for the past seven years under a Taubman teacher certified with the Golandsky Institute. It's been a journey of technical improvement and musical excitement. I've got a ways to go. My goal is to become as best as I can with the time I have.

Thanks for the input!
Clementi, Piano Sonata in G Minor, No. 3, op. 10
W. A. Mozart, Sonata for Piano Four-Hands in F Major, K. 497
Beethoven, Piano Concerto, No. 2, op. 19

Offline josh93248

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 07:31:58 AM
Glad I could help.

I'm no expert on the physicality of playing piano though I have been slowly shifting towards trying to work on that area, as far as I could tell you used your body quite well and had a relaxed but not flat manner about you, no doubt this is a consequence of your Taubman based training.

I'm curious though, would you be interested in an idea of mine that I found really helped my playing? I don't know what your teacher would think of it but as far as I can imagine it wouldn't interfere with Taubman stuff.

At any rate, keep it up, you have my attention.
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:10:39 AM
It was interesting that when I first watched your video I wondered about your way of playing...and then it all made sense when you mentioned Taubman. I cannot help wondering if that approach while being good for playing health does go a bit too far in putting lack of effort over anything else, maybe even musical goals. While your playing seems mechanically efficient it does lack something that I think is integral for this era of music. I am not sure if you can achieve that without letting go some of the Taubman principles and add a little bit more finger action. It's must be difficult to control tone, accents and dynamics dropping your hand on almost every note. Don't get me wrong, your playing sounds very nice, but I think it could maybe be even better :)

But I am no teacher, nor an expert on this type of music, so don't mind my ramblings...I tried to read into Taubmans when I had issues with my wrist some years ago but it never made sense to me. So I took another path to reduce strain and feel quite ok with that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert