Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Ravel Sonatine - First Movement  (Read 2180 times)

Offline jaiden

Ravel Sonatine - First Movement
on: June 01, 2016, 06:55:38 PM
Hello there!

I'm a newcomer to these forums, and fairly new to the piano as well.
I'm currently working on Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition for Piano (which is working fairly well), and I'm trying to learn the Sonatine by Ravel now too because it is one of my all-time favorite piano pieces.

I also apologize if the answer is already burried somewhere in the forums, I did a quick search and found a few topics on the sonatine but none seemed to adress the specific question I have.

I have the sheet music, and I know the fingerings to use, but what I'm completely uncertain about is the way I'm supposed to position my hands? I've tried watching a few videos on YouTube but the pros all play it so fast (I'm starting to learn it a very slow tempo) that I can't really make out what they're doing.

The part I'm talking about is the very opening.

Am I supposed to keep my left hand higher than the right hand, with my wrist bent down almost at 90 degrees, while the right hand is playing normally 'underneath' it? When I try it this way I feel my left hand wrist straining more than it probably should. Is this something I'm simply supposed to get used to?

The other way I tried is to switch which hand is on top during some of the chord changes, which makes it somewhat easier overall, but I feel that this would only work on the very slow tempo that I'm playing at, and once I try it at higher speeds I won't be able to shift the position quick enough.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Offline chomaninoff1

Re: Ravel Sonatine - First Movement
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:13:44 AM
Hi Jaiden,

I really love Sonatine as well, and I understand why you want to play it!

However, you say that you are fairly new to piano, so I am wondering why you are playing this piece right now. It is quite difficult, and is fairly advanced piece, meant for a person who has a lot of experience with playing piano. If you can't figure out the hand positions, it probably means that you should choose a piece that is a bit easier.

What else have you played? This will make it easier to assess what level you are at, and then I think other members can more accurately give you other piece suggestions.

If you need suggestions, you can always ask me! :)

Good luck with your playing.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ravel Sonatine - First Movement
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:07:45 AM
The answer is to watch your thumbs, if a thumb is on white note it should be under the other thumb which will be on black, they also go under more the 2nd of the other hand since they often share the same note. It is only this crossing of thumbs and keeping it with the other hands 2nd that you need to solve.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert